microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Need to capture visitors IP addresses - Anyway to do this?

Marcello do Guzman

4/15/2004 7:54:00 AM

I am using FP2002. I would like to be able to capture the IP
addresses of visitors to my website. Need to know if this is even
possible? What will I need? Can I download the information at the
end of the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Marcello do Guzman

marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com
3 Answers

Stefan B. Rusynko

Only if they give it to you in a form
- Privacy

Your server logs probably capture all user ISPs, but not individual user data

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...

"Marcello do Guzman" <marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:kofs70tikslo4t9pgfnnbtrfe8omk71g3p@4ax.com...
| I am using FP2002. I would like to be able to capture the IP
| addresses of visitors to my website. Need to know if this is even
| possible? What will I need? Can I download the information at the
| end of the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
|
| Thank you in advance.
|
| Marcello do Guzman
|
| marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com

clintonG

Yes, it's possible but using the returned data can require a lot
of development effort to get to any point where the returned
data can be considered reliable. ISPs for example use dynamic
IP assingments that often change. It is virtually impossible to
use that data in any meaningful way other than to determine that
the page requests came from some AOL user who has a dynamic
IP address assignment.

On the other hand, if visitors to your website come from links
in other websites using the IP of the host where that website
is hosted can be considered reliable as any website with a
domain name must be resolved to an IP address that is 'wired'
to that domain name.

If you can use ASP try this code snippet...

<%
IPAddress = Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_ADDR")
Software = Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_SOFTWARE")
Protocol = Request.ServerVariables("SERVER_PROTOCOL")
Response.Write "Your IP Address is " & IPAddress & " and your server is
running " & Software & " under " & Protocol & "protocol."
%>

You can get a whole list of the ServerVariable collection with this...

<head>
<title>DisplayServerVariableCollection.asp</title>
</head>

<center>
<h3>The HTTP Server Variables Collection</h3>
</center>

<% For Each key in Request.ServerVariables %>
<% If Request.ServerVariables(key) = "" Then
Response.Write "&nbsp;"
Else
Response.Write Request.ServerVariables(key)
End If
Response.Write "</td>" %>
<% Next %>

To learn to record and report you'll have to negotiate a deal
and visit my PayPal button ;-)

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher@REMOVETHISTEXTmetromilwaukee.com

"Marcello do Guzman" <marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am using FP2002. I would like to be able to capture the IP
> addresses of visitors to my website. Need to know if this is even
> possible? What will I need? Can I download the information at the
> end of the day? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Marcello do Guzman
>
> marcellodoguzman@hotmail.com

Jim Cheshire

In an Internet environment, you're not going to get reliable data this way.
For example, if you were to get my IP address when I visit your site from my
office, you're going to see that I'm coming from the West coast. In fact,
I'm sitting in Texas. The IP address you'll get will be the IP of the
gateway in our network, not my IP.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco