=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/15/2004 1:07:00 AM

Hi-
I need to create about 80 maps - each map will is broken
into 36 sections (grids) and will have approx 100-200
dots on it. Each of these dots will link to a .pdf file.

Can I do this using some data driven method in front page?
Other then manually setting all these links - I'm not
sure where to start. I also started, but had a hard time
keeping the dots in the correct position on the map, as
resolutions changed. I know I sound like a novice -but
can someone point me in a direction that will help
achieve what I need to do.

thanks for your help!!!
Cindy
5 Answers

Greg Chagnon

Hi Cindy,

The task that you're undertaking is not trivial. It can be accomplished with ASP programming and layers. The only thing that is
baffling to me is why the resolution would be problem. The graphic maps would always be the same size would they not? The so the
"dots" would be relative to the top / left of the map image.

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunl...

"cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1cae301c42285$f11e5c30$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi-
> I need to create about 80 maps - each map will is broken
> into 36 sections (grids) and will have approx 100-200
> dots on it. Each of these dots will link to a .pdf file.
>
> Can I do this using some data driven method in front page?
> Other then manually setting all these links - I'm not
> sure where to start. I also started, but had a hard time
> keeping the dots in the correct position on the map, as
> resolutions changed. I know I sound like a novice -but
> can someone point me in a direction that will help
> achieve what I need to do.
>
> thanks for your help!!!
> Cindy

Stefan B. Rusynko

You could very painfully create an image map (hotspot) with the Picture Tool bar for each dot, but there is no tool that will do it
for you

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...

"cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1cae301c42285$f11e5c30$a501280a@phx.gbl...
| Hi-
| I need to create about 80 maps - each map will is broken
| into 36 sections (grids) and will have approx 100-200
| dots on it. Each of these dots will link to a .pdf file.
|
| Can I do this using some data driven method in front page?
| Other then manually setting all these links - I'm not
| sure where to start. I also started, but had a hard time
| keeping the dots in the correct position on the map, as
| resolutions changed. I know I sound like a novice -but
| can someone point me in a direction that will help
| achieve what I need to do.
|
| thanks for your help!!!
| Cindy

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Thanks for the advice - is there any software that could
generate the ASP - for this kind of project? I've only
done one very simple project with ASP.
As far as the positioning of the dots - I know I tried
using absolute positioning - thninking that would hold
them in place - I maybe just need to retry it again....

thanks again fo ryour help - Cindy

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

That was kind of where I was at - but hoping for an
easier way....
thanks - Cindy

FrontPage ]
;
>To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...
>

>"cindy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:1cae301c42285$f11e5c30$a501280a@phx.gbl...
>| Hi-
>| I need to create about 80 maps - each map will is
broken
>| into 36 sections (grids) and will have approx 100-200
>| dots on it. Each of these dots will link to a .pdf
file.

>| Can I do this using some data driven method in front
page?
>| Other then manually setting all these links - I'm not
>| sure where to start. I also started, but had a hard
time
>| keeping the dots in the correct position on the map, as
>| resolutions changed. I know I sound like a novice -but
>| can someone point me in a direction that will help
>| achieve what I need to do.
>|
>| thanks for your help!!!
>| Cindy
>

>.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

There is no way to do this except for using XML and XSL.
VML is also an option, but requires some programming
knowledge.

I can maybe help you with that.