New Wprd.Application failing with "This command is not available because no document is open"

mdupris

6/28/2007 6:40:00 PM

I can't open a Word session in a C# session without getting an error
"This command is not available because no document is open". The
simplest code illustrating the problem is below:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using Word = Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word;

namespace JustOpenWord
{
public partial class Form1 : Form
{
public Form1()
{
InitializeComponent();
}

private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Word.Application oWord = new Word.Application();
}
}
}

The error occurs on execution of the "Word.Application oWord = new
Word.Application();" line.

The same failure occurs with variants such as "ApplicationClass" or
"_Application". I've tried using "try/catch" to manage the error, and
the pop-up, without success. Suspecting an Office configuration issue
(Office 2003 running in Windows XP) I re-installed Office, without
success.

Anyone have any clues what's going on here? They would be greatly
appreciated.

= M =

1 Answer

mdupris

Never mind... Seems an old COM Add-in had inserted itself into the
system and was fouling things up. (Loud "Duh!" sound at this end, when
it was discovered).

= M =