Tim Haughton

6/20/2007 7:55:00 AM

I'm trying to use the IThumbnailCache COM interface to query Vista's system
thumbnail cache. Unfortunately there's no type library for it. Here's what
I've done so far:

- Created thumbcache.tlb from thumbcache.idl using midl

- Created thumbcachelib.dll from thumbcache.tlb using tlbimp

- Tried to use it.

There were a multitude of errors when I used tlbimp, but everything seemed
to work until...

A method on the SharedBitmap had the wrong signature. We had:

void GetSharedBitmap(IntPtr phbm);

Instead of

void GetSharedBitmap(out IntPtr phbm);

So we checked the idl, which was correct, then we looked at tlbimp's
output -

TlbImp : warning TI0000 : At least one of the arguments for
'ISharedBitmap.GetSharedBitmap' cannot be marshaled by the runtime
marshaler. Such arguments will therefore be passed as a pointer and may
require unsafe code to manipulate.

So, I'm thinking this is the problem I'm seeing. Obviously, I still need to
get a hold of the IntPtr so I can construct the bitmap on the .Net end. Any
suggestions?

Cheers,

Tim

13 Answers

Fattuchus

On Jan 6, 5:12 pm, Mack A. Damia <mybaconbu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:17:07 -0800 (PST), Fattuchus
>

> <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Uh oh, another J&L story?-
>
> >Well, if Mack's posts are to be believed, let's say he had some woman
> >troubles . . . .  I don't know which was worse, Mack's situation or
> >the J & Y situation.  It's not up to me to judge. I'm not interested
> >in getting into another poster's business.  Mack had it rough, and I
> >sympathize.
>
> >I just wish he would not take his anger out on me.
>
> I'm not angry with you.
>
> Amazed and disappointed.-

Perhaps you express yourself differently than I do. If I call someone
a 24 carat asshole, then for me, it goes way beyond "amazed and
disappointed."

Nutella

On Jan 5, 9:28 pm, John Doherty <j...@johndoherty.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 8:15 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't realize this was such a "Pro-Ono" newsgroup. I'm surprised,
> > almost shocked, to see a few people coming to her defense. I was
> > always under the (possibly false) impression that die-hard Beatles
> > fans didn't give Yoko much credibility, and that she was a poison to
> > the future success of the band.
>
> Have you heard Lennon's take on it all?
>
> Everyone had quit the band at some point. Being a Beatle was quite a
> burden, and they all had to "carry that weight".
>
> Yoko might have shown John there was life after the Beatles, but the
> "dream was over". As JL himself would say when people asked "When are
> you getting back with the Beatles?"
>
> "When are you going back to high school?"
>
> I don't think I am pro Ono as much as I am pro Lennon. It's obvious
> Yoko was his link to sanity and living life on a somewhat even keel.
> All these folks who constantly bash Yoko delude themselves, and would
> sacrifice Lennon's peace of mind for another group effort. He met the
> woman, proclaimed that he was finally happy, left her after about6
> years for an 18 month period when everyone agrees he was a depressed
> mean drunk, and then came back to the only peace he had known, living
> the most tranquil part of his life with her, the last 6 years.
>
> It reminds me of the Nora Ephron script "This Is My Life", in which
> Julie Kavner played a mother trying to do stand up comedy. Dan Ackroyd
> played her agent who tells her "Your kids want you to be happy".
>
> She responds "No way-- you give kids a choice between mom happy on  a
> beach in Hawaii or suicidal in the next room, they'll take suicidal in
> the next room everytime."

I understand now. thx.

Crisstti

On Jan 5, 11:28 pm, John Doherty <j...@johndoherty.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 8:15 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I didn't realize this was such a "Pro-Ono" newsgroup. I'm surprised,
> > almost shocked, to see a few people coming to her defense. I was
> > always under the (possibly false) impression that die-hard Beatles
> > fans didn't give Yoko much credibility, and that she was a poison to
> > the future success of the band.
>
> Have you heard Lennon's take on it all?
>
> Everyone had quit the band at some point. Being a Beatle was quite a
> burden, and they all had to "carry that weight".
>
> Yoko might have shown John there was life after the Beatles, but the
> "dream was over". As JL himself would say when people asked "When are
> you getting back with the Beatles?"
>
> "When are you going back to high school?"

Oh, that was not all John had to say about it. He also said in some
moment that they were very probably going to ge back together.

> I don't think I am pro Ono as much as I am pro Lennon. It's obvious
> Yoko was his link to sanity and living life on a somewhat even keel.
> All these folks who constantly bash Yoko delude themselves, and would
> sacrifice Lennon's peace of mind for another group effort. He met the
> woman, proclaimed that he was finally happy, left her after about6
> years for an 18 month period when everyone agrees he was a depressed
> mean drunk, and then came back to the only peace he had known, living
> the most tranquil part of his life with her, the last 6 years.

Not everyone agrees about that.

> It reminds me of the Nora Ephron script "This Is My Life", in which
> Julie Kavner played a mother trying to do stand up comedy. Dan Ackroyd
> played her agent who tells her "Your kids want you to be happy".
>
> She responds "No way-- you give kids a choice between mom happy on  a
> beach in Hawaii or suicidal in the next room, they'll take suicidal in
> the next room everytime."

Fattuchus

On Jan 6, 7:35 pm, "RichL" <rpleav...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> >> Yoko's art (at best) is "avant-lite" - a sort of popularization of
> >> the truly challenging precepts of modern, post-Dada art. Most of her
> >> ideas seem quite formulaic and derivative to me, and I think her one
> >> distinguishing characteristic as an avant garde artist is precisely
> >> that which is most irksome to me: her unrelenting froth of
> >> visualization optimism which - while bucking the usual
> >> modern/post-modern trend of ironic displacement or hermetic
> >> obfuscation - doesn't really have the "yeast" to rise much higher
> >> than the "Visualize World Peace" bumper stickers that act as sop to
> >> a million bourgeois consciences. Combine her rather tepid imaginings
> >> with her cold artificial sunshine and a tendency to be a
> >> condescending didactic, and I think she's a somewhat unnerving
> >> poster child for bad art. And I AM "into avant-garde art"...
>
> >> dmh
>
> > Well said, Dale.
>
> As little as I know about avant-garde art, you know much less (maybe
> zero?).  For you to respond with a "well said" in response to this post
> indicates precisely your dishonesty in matters Yoko.  RAH RAH! to
> anything negative, period, regardless of actual content.

I don't like Yoko's art (usually). Neither to you. Why are you
protesting?

Fattuchus

On Jan 6, 11:26 pm, Crisstti <crissttigalda...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 5, 11:28 pm, John Doherty <j...@johndoherty.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 5, 8:15 pm, Nutella <amongthebeliev...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I didn't realize this was such a "Pro-Ono" newsgroup. I'm surprised,
> > > almost shocked, to see a few people coming to her defense. I was
> > > always under the (possibly false) impression that die-hard Beatles
> > > fans didn't give Yoko much credibility, and that she was a poison to
> > > the future success of the band.
>
> > Have you heard Lennon's take on it all?
>
> > Everyone had quit the band at some point. Being a Beatle was quite a
> > burden, and they all had to "carry that weight".
>
> > Yoko might have shown John there was life after the Beatles, but the
> > "dream was over". As JL himself would say when people asked "When are
> > you getting back with the Beatles?"
>
> > "When are you going back to high school?"
>
> Oh, that was not all John had to say about it.  He also said in some
> moment that they were very probably going to ge back together.

Excellent point, Crissti. Yes, certainly when John was with May he
gave a couple of interviews indicating he was open to getting back
together.

Also, even after John returned to Yoko, the Beatles were talking about
getting together for a one big project . . . . a film which later
became Beatles Anthology after John died.

> > I don't think I am pro Ono as much as I am pro Lennon. It's obvious
> > Yoko was his link to sanity and living life on a somewhat even keel.
> > All these folks who constantly bash Yoko delude themselves, and would
> > sacrifice Lennon's peace of mind for another group effort. He met the
> > woman, proclaimed that he was finally happy, left her after about6
> > years for an 18 month period when everyone agrees he was a depressed
> > mean drunk, and then came back to the only peace he had known, living
> > the most tranquil part of his life with her, the last 6 years.
>
> Not everyone agrees about that.

The problem in this newsgroup (a Beatles group, no less!!) is that
some people cannot tolerate an opposing point of view.

Jeff

On Jan 7, 12:29 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 11:26 pm, Crisstti <crissttigalda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Have you heard Lennon's take on it all?
>
> > > Everyone had quit the band at some point. Being a Beatle was quite a
> > > burden, and they all had to "carry that weight".
>
> > > Yoko might have shown John there was life after the Beatles, but the
> > > "dream was over". As JL himself would say when people asked "When are
> > > you getting back with the Beatles?"
>
> > > "When are you going back to high school?"
>
> > Oh, that was not all John had to say about it.  He also said in some
> > moment that they were very probably going to ge back together.
>
> Excellent point, Crissti.  Yes, certainly when John was with May he
> gave a couple of interviews indicating he was open to getting back
> together.
>
> Also, even after John returned to Yoko, the Beatles were talking about
> getting together for a one big project . . . . a film which later
> became Beatles Anthology after John died.
>

> > > I don't think I am pro Ono as much as I am pro Lennon. It's obvious
> > > Yoko was his link to sanity and living life on a somewhat even keel.
> > > All these folks who constantly bash Yoko delude themselves, and would
> > > sacrifice Lennon's peace of mind for another group effort. He met the
> > > woman, proclaimed that he was finally happy, left her after about6
> > > years for an 18 month period when everyone agrees he was a depressed
> > > mean drunk, and then came back to the only peace he had known, living
> > > the most tranquil part of his life with her, the last 6 years.
>
> > Not everyone agrees about that.
>
> The problem in this newsgroup (a Beatles group, no less!!) is that
> some people cannot tolerate an opposing point of view.

An opposing point of view is fine, Fatt. That's not the problem.
The problem is rehashing how much you dislike Yoko
millions of times, like none of us don't already know
that..5 years ago.

Jeff

Fattuchus

On Jan 7, 1:34 am, Jeff <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 12:29 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Oh, that was not all John had to say about it.  He also said in some
> > > moment that they were very probably going to ge back together.
>
> > Excellent point, Crissti.  Yes, certainly when John was with May he
> > gave a couple of interviews indicating he was open to getting back
> > together.
>
> > Also, even after John returned to Yoko, the Beatles were talking about
> > getting together for a one big project . . . . a film which later
> > became Beatles Anthology after John died.

> > > Not everyone agrees about that.
>
> > The problem in this newsgroup (a Beatles group, no less!!) is that
> > some people cannot tolerate an opposing point of view.
>
> An opposing point of view is fine, Fatt. That's not the problem.
> The problem is rehashing how much you dislike Yoko
> millions of times, like none of us don't already know
> that..5 years ago.
>
> Jeff-

I'll try to rehash less . . . . Can't promise I'll succeed. But I
don't think it's fair that I'm supposed to "stifle" myself while
everyone else is free to discuss a subject as much as he or she likes.

Jeff

On Jan 7, 1:18 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 1:34 am, Jeff <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Excellent point, Crissti.  Yes, certainly when John was with May he
> > > gave a couple of interviews indicating he was open to getting back
> > > together.
>
> > > Also, even after John returned to Yoko, the Beatles were talking about
> > > getting together for a one big project . . . . a film which later
> > > became Beatles Anthology after John died.

> > > The problem in this newsgroup (a Beatles group, no less!!) is that
> > > some people cannot tolerate an opposing point of view.
>
> > An opposing point of view is fine, Fatt. That's not the problem.
> > The problem is rehashing how much you dislike Yoko
> > millions of times, like none of us don't already know
> > that..5 years ago.
>
> > Jeff-
>
> I'll try to rehash less . . . . Can't promise I'll succeed.  But I
> don't think it's fair that I'm supposed to "stifle" myself while
> everyone else is free to discuss a subject as much as he or she likes.

Well, do what you feel the need to do, but when others object
to you posting the same thing over and over again,
take it like a man...er I mean woman. Hi, Edith :-)

Edith Bunker reference.

Fattuchus

On Jan 7, 2:26 am, Jeff <yourimageunre...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 1:18 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > An opposing point of view is fine, Fatt. That's not the problem.
> > > The problem is rehashing how much you dislike Yoko
> > > millions of times, like none of us don't already know
> > > that..5 years ago.
>
> > > Jeff-
>
> > I'll try to rehash less . . . . Can't promise I'll succeed.  But I
> > don't think it's fair that I'm supposed to "stifle" myself while
> > everyone else is free to discuss a subject as much as he or she likes.
>
> Well, do what you feel the need to do, but when others object
> to you posting the same thing over and over again,
> take it like a man...er I mean woman. Hi, Edith :-)
>
> Edith Bunker reference.-

All in the Family. That was a very good show, in its day.

abe slaney

On Jan 7, 1:03 am, Fattuchus <fattuc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I don't like Yoko's art (usually).  Neither to you. Why are you
> protesting?

Do you like Joseph Beuys? Willem DeKooning? Sol Lewitt? Kurt
Schwitters? Josef Albers? Kenneth Noland? Francesco Clemente? Asger
Jorn? Nam June Paik? Francis Bacon?

<sound of not holding breath>