Excel 2003 interop install with office 2007

greg.merideth@gmail.com

6/18/2007 3:12:00 PM

I was asked to go back to a project that required the Office 2003
Excel interop assemblies loaded and make some changes. I had since
then performed a fresh OS install with Office 2007 and of course, VS
complained that it cannot find the Excel 2003 interop assembly files.

I downloaded the runtime distribution from Microsoft but it requires
Office 2003 to be installed in order to register the interop files in
the GAC. Do I really need to install the entire (even in minimal
mode) Office 2003 suite in order to get the Excel 2003 interop files
or are there any workarounds?

Is it possible to install Office 2003 and then uninstall it or will
that take the interop files out of the GAC when I do?

Thanks for any help.

3 Answers

GS

If you do have to go back and forth between 2007 and 2003, I suggest you use
vmserver vm for your office 2003 and .net and use the host pc for .net and
with office 2007

the Microsoft Vm server is free for download last time I check. Don't know
if they still allow you use the existing xp os for development but it was
allowed last year

If your place of work disallows iis on desktop, I guess you can Virtual PC
instead

you only need a PC like P4 D 2.8 GHz and 2 GB Ram and free hard disk

<greg.merideth@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I was asked to go back to a project that required the Office 2003
> Excel interop assemblies loaded and make some changes. I had since
> then performed a fresh OS install with Office 2007 and of course, VS
> complained that it cannot find the Excel 2003 interop assembly files.
>
> I downloaded the runtime distribution from Microsoft but it requires
> Office 2003 to be installed in order to register the interop files in
> the GAC. Do I really need to install the entire (even in minimal
> mode) Office 2003 suite in order to get the Excel 2003 interop files
> or are there any workarounds?
>
> Is it possible to install Office 2003 and then uninstall it or will
> that take the interop files out of the GAC when I do?
>
> Thanks for any help.

greg.merideth@gmail.com

I have VMware on my machine with 15 different shells to chose from. I
had considered installing a Windows XP base with Office 2003 but it
just seems a waste to have to install a whole OS to recompile this
simple project versus having a way to install the 2003 interop
assembly files.

On Jun 18, 10:49 pm, "GS" <gsmsnews.microsoft.co...@msnews.Nomail.com>
wrote:
> If you do have to go back and forth between 2007 and 2003, I suggest you use
> vmserver vm for your office 2003 and .net and use the host pc for .net and
> with office 2007
>
> the Microsoft Vm server is free for download last time I check. Don't know
> if they still allow you use the existing xp os for development but it was
> allowed last year
>
> If your place of work disallows iis on desktop, I guess you can Virtual PC
> instead
>
> you only need a PC like P4 D 2.8 GHz and 2 GB Ram and free hard disk
>
> <greg.merid...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > I was asked to go back to a project that required the Office 2003
> > Excel interop assemblies loaded and make some changes. I had since
> > then performed a fresh OS install with Office 2007 and of course, VS
> > complained that it cannot find the Excel 2003 interop assembly files.
>
> > I downloaded the runtime distribution from Microsoft but it requires
> > Office 2003 to be installed in order to register the interop files in
> > the GAC. Do I really need to install the entire (even in minimal
> > mode) Office 2003 suite in order to get the Excel 2003 interop files
> > or are there any workarounds?
>
> > Is it possible to install Office 2003 and then uninstall it or will
> > that take the interop files out of the GAC when I do?
>
> > Thanks for any help.

GS

I get your point.

Don't know much about vmware, with ms Vpc I can take image of the physical
pc with Symantec ghost 8 or ghost solution on to dvd(s), and restore into a
vpc vm. I just make sure before I take the image

I run msconfig to suppress any non essential services
for domain pc take off the domain or sysprep to remove the security
machine id
reboot
when restoring, make sure the vm is not connected to the same network so I
can avoid same name and ip trouble. That also allows me to rename the vm,
change ip....

the job is easier for me because the PCs I deal with has C: as system drive,
d: as program drive, and data else where.

Normally total time is only a couple hours and don't have to sit there all
that time either. that can also including custom tailoring the Vm instead.
For me that is faster than whole process of installing the xp, updating it
and than installing the .net, visual studio ... and get that updated

you probably can use acronis to do the imaging and restore job.