Shiny balls with OpenGL

Ilmari Heikkinen

4/1/2005 6:14:00 PM

Hi, anyone done interesting things with ruby-opengl?

Made some lit spheres: http://dark.fhtr.org...
(needs ruby-opengl and glut)

Seems like it'd be quite feasible to use Ruby for managing the scene and
write the heavy drawing functions in C for speed. (Or precalc to display
lists)

Ilmari Heikkinen

2 Answers

Kent Loobey

On Friday 01 April 2005 10:14 am, Ilmari Heikkinen wrote:
> Hi, anyone done interesting things with ruby-opengl?
>
> Made some lit spheres: http://dark.fhtr.org...
> (needs ruby-opengl and glut)

Very cool!

> Seems like it'd be quite feasible to use Ruby for managing the scene and
> write the heavy drawing functions in C for speed. (Or precalc to display
> lists)
>

> Ilmari Heikkinen

Barry Sperling

Hi, I enjoyed it!
3 changes made it more comfortable for me to look at: I changed the
2nd parameter in gluLookAt (in set_camera() ) from 2.0 to 4.0 (the
y-coord of the eye) to back off and see the whole setup of the spheres.
Also, I divided the time value in set_camera() and draw_lights() by
10.0 to smooth out the animation.
Thanks for sharing the code!
Barry