[ANN] emerald 0.1

Yukihiro Matsumoto

4/1/2005 8:44:00 AM

Hello,

I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at

http://rubyurl...

Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.

I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
Rite.

matz
21 Answers

Aria Stewart

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 17:44 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
>
> http://rubyurl...
>
> Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
> features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
>
> I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
> It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
> Rite.
>
> matz

Thank you for this amazing new language!

I especially like the way you combined iterators into a purely logical
predicate language. It's brilliance, and shows how far Prolog has to
come!

Keep up the good work. Maybe Rite can be written in Emerald?

Ari

Hal E. Fulton

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
>
> http://rubyurl...
>
> Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
> features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
>
> I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
> It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
> Rite.

Very nice... but will it scale? ;)

Hal

Roland Schmitt

Hal Fulton schrieb:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
>>
>> http://rubyurl...
>>
>> Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
>> features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
>>
>> I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
>> It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait
>> for Rite.
>

> Very nice... but will it scale? ;)
>

> Hal

Yes, until christmas!

Roland

Jon Raphaelson

Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
>
> http://rubyurl...
>
> Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
> features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
>
> I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
> It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
> Rite.
>
> matz

Haha. :P

Peter Hickman

Remember what happened the last time someone joked about a programming
language?

Parrot!

Johan Sörensen

On Apr 1, 2005 12:37 PM, Peter Hickman <peter@semantico.com> wrote:
> Remember what happened the last time someone joked about a programming
> language?
>
> Parrot!

ba-dam-bam-pssh! :)

(I really hate this day btw )

j.

Lloyd Zusman

Hal Fulton Wrote:

> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
> >
> > http://rubyurl...
> >
> > Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
> > features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
> >
> > I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
> > It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
> > Rite.
>
> Very nice... but will it scale? ;)

I don't know. There's something fishy about this.

--
Lloyd Zusman
ljz@asfast.com

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 21:44 +0900, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
> Hal Fulton Wrote:
>
> > Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm pleased to announce you the first public release of emerald at
> > >
> > > http://rubyurl...
> > >
> > > Emerald is an object oriented language with constraints and logic
> > > features, inspired from prolog, Oz, CSP and Hyper/J.
> > >
> > > I started this as an hack since ruby is becoming less fun.
> > > It will not be as good as ruby, but please try it out while we wait for
> > > Rite.
> >
> > Very nice... but will it scale? ;)
>
> I don't know. There's something fishy about this.

With this language, Ruby is fin-ished.

Now all we can do is flounder about.

I feel gill-ty for recommending Ruby now.

Emerald will be fast; if anyone can tuna language, it's Matz.

That's all I got,

tom

dblack

Gavin Kistner

On Apr 1, 2005, at 2:52 AM, Hal Fulton wrote:
> Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
>> http://rubyurl...
>
> Very nice... but will it scale? ;)

(heavy groan from the audience)