linux: make install fails

Jerry Davis

4/1/2005 1:42:00 AM

After downloading the latest 1.8.2 snapshot, I get an error during the make
install portion

as normal user did:
../configure
make clean
make
make test
then as superuser did:
make install

immediately, I get this error:
--------
../miniruby ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --make="make" --mflags=""
--make-flags="" --mantype="doc"
../instruby.rb:124: parse error
ln(bin+exeext, bin+suf+exeext, force: true)
^
../instruby.rb:250: parse error
make: *** [do-install-local] Error 1

--------
I don't know ruby very well, which is why I am installing it!
Can someone tell me why I am getting this.
11 Answers

Jerry Davis

Jerry Davis wrote:

> After downloading the latest 1.8.2 snapshot, I get an error during the
> make install portion
>
> as normal user did:
> ./configure
> make clean
> make
> make test
> then as superuser did:
> make install
>

> immediately, I get this error:
> --------
> ./miniruby ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --make="make" --mflags=""
> --make-flags="" --mantype="doc"
> ./instruby.rb:124: parse error
> ln(bin+exeext, bin+suf+exeext, force: true)
> ^
> ./instruby.rb:250: parse error
> make: *** [do-install-local] Error 1
>
> --------
> I don't know ruby very well, which is why I am installing it!
> Can someone tell me why I am getting this.

Ok, I "fixed" it. I had downloaded the lastest stable snapshot. The
installer obviously didn't work.

So, I killed that and downloaded the latest ruby stable release (1.8.2) and
it worked just fine, and I now have ruby.

the instruby.rb must have been reverted to a former version that did not
work.

Jerry

nobu.nokada

At Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:44:46 +0900,
Jerry Davis wrote in [ruby-talk:136211]:
> immediately, I get this error:
> --------
> ../miniruby ./instruby.rb --dest-dir="" --make="make" --mflags=""
> --make-flags="" --mantype="doc"
> ../instruby.rb:124: parse error
> ln(bin+exeext, bin+suf+exeext, force: true)
> ^
> ../instruby.rb:250: parse error
> make: *** [do-install-local] Error 1

Sorry, it was my commit miss and fixed yesterday.

----------------------------
revision 1.59.2.5
date: 2005-03-31 08:08:03 +0900; author: nobu; state: Exp; lines: +0 -17
* instruby.rb: commit miss.
----------------------------
revision 1.59.2.4
date: 2005-03-30 23:44:59 +0900; author: nobu; state: Exp; lines: +49 -15
* Makefile.in, */Makefile.sub, */configure.bat, cygwin/GNUmakefile.in,
common.mk, configure.in, ext/extmk.rb, lib/mkmf.rb, instruby.rb,
runruby.rb: backport extout. [ruby-dev:25963]
----------------------------

--
Nobu Nakada

Potac Hammerfist

In article <bcc9c314-8ddf-4fe3-8d85-c1be3faf0a07
@n2g2000prj.googlegroups.com>, pbowles@aol.com says...
> On Apr 15, 5:44 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > On Apr 15, 5:12 pm, "Robert Singers" <rsing...@finger.hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > mechanicalhamster
>
> Pirate Blood Bowl? His ideas don't get any better...

I've have described it more as "Gay Pirate Mordenheim".

Myr

--
Yeah, I hate it when a worthless thread degenerates into a semi-useful
discussion. Never again!

- Smithdoerr

RGMW FAQ: http://ww...

JohnPaulPontiff

Hey,

On Apr 16, 1:39 pm, Myrmidon <Im...@home.com> wrote:
> Gay Pirate Mordenheim

"If you were like me, you'd constantly think-up brilliant new game
mechanics."
"Some nice ladies asked me why the names in my books were so stupid."
"Here's a 10pg screed on how *others* should use languages in F/SF."

Ugh. I don't understand why or how, but he's employed. Scheduled:

"A Dark Angels novel (possibly the first of a new series); Path of the
Outcast; an Eldar-themed short story for the Games Day chapbook; a
Vampire Wars trilogy; a Dark Angels audiobook (again, probably the
first of several); a story about a space marine tea party; a novella
on Lion El’Johnson; a trilogy on the Wars of the Vampire Counts and a
Vampire-related short story for the Age of Legends book."

Evidently, as long as there'a an Alan Merrrit at BL, Gav's golden.
A golden Dark Angels Johnson/ Vampire/ Space Elf/ tea party.
Gay pirate Mordheim? From this guy? Say it ain't so!

Playa

Moramarth

On Apr 16, 6:39 pm, Myrmidon <Im...@home.com> wrote:

> I've have described it more as "Gay Pirate Mordheim".
The figures look quite nice (especially the Pirate Girls) so Gav can't
have had much to do with them.
If he'd called the rules "Lesbian Pirate Holocaust" and included a DVD
of the same title I might have given them a whirl...

Cheers,
> Myr

Moramarth

Matt C

Moramarth <Moramarth@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:856c9925-36c7-
4866-b358-b1847efd36ff@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

> On Apr 16, 6:39 pm, Myrmidon <Im...@home.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've have described it more as "Gay Pirate Mordheim".
> The figures look quite nice (especially the Pirate Girls) so Gav can't
> have had much to do with them.
> If he'd called the rules "Lesbian Pirate Holocaust" and included a DVD
> of the same title I might have given them a whirl...
>>
> Cheers,
>> Myr
>>
> Moramarth

I believe Vivid already released that, and a sequel.

Blackheart

On Apr 19, 6:19 am, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
> Moramarth <Morama...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:856c9925-36c7-
> 4866-b358-b1847efd3...@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Apr 16, 6:39 pm, Myrmidon <Im...@home.com> wrote:
>
> >>         I've have described it more as "Gay Pirate Mordheim".
> > The figures look quite nice (especially the Pirate Girls) so Gav can't
> > have had much to do with them.
> > If he'd called the rules "Lesbian Pirate Holocaust" and included a DVD
> > of the same title I might have given them a whirl...
>
> > Cheers,
> >>                 Myr
>
> > Moramarth
>
> I believe Vivid already released that, and a sequel.

link please

Matt C

Blackheart <blackheart666_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in news:43a0b5ad-69a7-4c71-
9748-0e8b3a6c3fb9@x10g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:

> On Apr 19, 6:19?am, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
>> Moramarth <Morama...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:856c9925-36c7-
>> 4866-b358-b1847efd3...@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

>> > The figures look quite nice (especially the Pirate Girls) so Gav can't
>> > have had much to do with them.
>> > If he'd called the rules "Lesbian Pirate Holocaust" and included a DVD
>> > of the same title I might have given them a whirl...
>>
>> > Cheers,
>>
>> > Moramarth
>>
>> I believe Vivid already released that, and a sequel.
>
> link please

I'm fairly sure linking to that kinda stuff would get me in trouble.
Try searching for stagnetti's revenge
Lesbian pirates. Great stuff.
Oh, and it turns out to be Digital Playground, not Vivid

Blackheart

On Apr 21, 12:40 pm, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
> Blackheart <blackheart666_2...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:43a0b5ad-69a7-4c71-
> 9748-0e8b3a6c3...@x10g2000vbn.googlegroups.com:
>

> > On Apr 19, 6:19 am, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
> >> Moramarth <Morama...@moramarth.demon.co.uk> wrote in news:856c9925-36c7-
> >> 4866-b358-b1847efd3...@v31g2000vbs.googlegroups.com:

> >> I believe Vivid already released that, and a sequel.
>
> > link please
>
> I'm fairly sure linking to that kinda stuff would get me in trouble.
> Try searching for stagnetti's revenge
> Lesbian pirates. Great stuff.
> Oh, and it turns out to be Digital Playground, not Vivid

oh... that one... have it.

M Roberts

"mattc" <nope@noway.jose> wrote in message

> I'm fairly sure linking to that kinda stuff would get me in trouble.
> Try searching for stagnetti's revenge
> Lesbian pirates. Great stuff.

As opposed to Gay Pirates - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d...
(a witty ditty. nothing else).