Re: Hello Everybody

apatzer

3/31/2005 10:59:00 PM

> Question: How did you get into Bioinformatics? I'm interested in the field and I'm wondering how much Ruby is being used in it.

I joined this group 3 months ago to fill a need for a systems architect. Everyone here is very skilled in biology and bioinformatics, but they don't know much about writing good software. So, I'm working with them to bring some best practices and standards to their development, along with lots of individualized training and mentoring. Along the way, I get to learn a lot about DNA which is very cool.

If you're looking to get into bioinformatics, don't necessarily think you need that kind of background (although it always helps). If you can convince them that you can help them build better software for less money in less time, then the biology stuff becomes secondary.

Andrew

1 Answer

Robert Klemme

<apatzer@wi.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Question: How did you get into Bioinformatics? I'm interested in the
field and I'm wondering how much Ruby is being used in it.

> I joined this group 3 months ago to fill a need for a systems architect.
Everyone here is very skilled in biology and bioinformatics, but they
don't know much about writing good software. So, I'm working with them to
bring some best practices and standards to their development, along with
lots of individualized training and mentoring. Along the way, I get to
learn a lot about DNA which is very cool.

> If you're looking to get into bioinformatics, don't necessarily think
you need that kind of background (although it always helps). If you can
convince them that you can help them build better software for less money
in less time, then the biology stuff becomes secondary.

Cool! Sounds interesting. Welcome aboard!

Cheers

robert