Re: Complete beginner in programming

Peña, Botp

3/31/2005 8:57:00 AM

Bill Kelly [mailto:billk@cts.com] wrote:

--snipped helpful irb samples

//A couple links that emphasize interactive learning about
//objects (in Ruby)
//http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera...

yap. this is good, too. the screenshots will spoil you. I remember a ruby
tutorial page like this that was interactive. Yes, you can write program on
the page and execute it, but i forgot the url.. maybe others can provide.

//http://www.poignantguide...chap...
// (Ch. 3 of http://www.poignantguide... )

This one, i cannot show yet to my kids. They do not understand advanced
humor yet :-)

kind regards -botp

//Hope this helps & Good Luck!
//
//Regards,
//
//Bill
//

19 Answers

ES

Peña, Botp wrote:
> Bill Kelly [mailto:billk@cts.com] wrote:
>
> --snipped helpful irb samples
>
> //A couple links that emphasize interactive learning about
> //objects (in Ruby)
> //http://www.math.umd.edu/~dcarrera...
>
> yap. this is good, too. the screenshots will spoil you. I remember a ruby
> tutorial page like this that was interactive. Yes, you can write program on
> the page and execute it, but i forgot the url.. maybe others can provide.

http://w... has an online interpreter. You can enter arbitrary
code or read Pickaxe and execute and modify all of its example code
along the way.

Superb site.

> //http://www.poignantguide...chap...
> // (Ch. 3 of http://www.poignantguide... )
>
> This one, i cannot show yet to my kids. They do not understand advanced
> humor yet :-)
>
> kind regards -botp
>
> //Hope this helps & Good Luck!
> //
> //Regards,
> //
> //Bill

Phil Bowles

On Apr 5, 5:51 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Apr 5, 3:55 pm, "M Roberts" <unkn...@thisaddress.com> wrote:
>
> > Sepulcre Stalkers
>
> What the ...
>
> > Necron Wraiths
>
> Oh, right.
>
> > Necropolis Knights
>
> Ugh. Egyptian "knights"?

Skeletons riding giant cobras, and you're worried about the historical
accuracy of Egyptian knightly orders?

Phil

JohnPaulPontiff

Hey,

On Apr 5, 8:17 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
> Skeletons riding giant cobras

Oh, please. That's just silly -
A 4in plastic snake isn't worth US$20!
Now, a 4in animatronic bearded cobra STATUE ...

Seriously, those riders simply put them ott, imo.

> you're worried about the historical accuracy

Oh, no - just wondering, "What price alliteration?"
Are puns somehow of any value to the target demo?
Also, couldn't CAD guy Google "sphinx"? Or "sabretooth"?

Admittedly, the army photos look favorably impressive -
The EM team's turquoise/ gold scheme well suits the range.
And, ranked-up, the 2x4s do kinda seem like imposing statues ...

... except for those damned monkeys.

Pla - nobody's fault but mine - ya

Phil Bowles

On Apr 6, 3:57 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Apr 5, 8:17 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Skeletons riding giant cobras
>
> Oh, please. That's just silly -
> A 4in plastic snake isn't worth US$20!
> Now, a 4in animatronic bearded cobra STATUE ...

The cobra heads look a bit odd.

> Seriously, those riders simply put them ott, imo.

I like the models, both rider and snake - it's the combination that's
a bit ... odd. But I still think it's a fun idea.

Not sure where this idea that the statues are animated souls comes
from - that doesn't make any sense in terms of Khemri background,
where the souls tend to be fairly firmly attached to bodies. And the
idea that those sphinx statues can fly...

> > you're worried about the historical accuracy
>
> Oh, no - just wondering, "What price alliteration?"
> Are puns somehow of any value to the target demo?
> Also, couldn't CAD guy Google "sphinx"? Or "sabretooth"?

I think they just wanted 'Necro' at the front of every word they could
manage. Probably in the hopes that it will act as a subliminal hint to
someone, somewhere, to buy a Necron.

> Admittedly, the army photos look favorably impressive -
> The EM team's turquoise/ gold scheme well suits the range.

They get the bone a bit too, well, bleached and cartoony, I think. And
it's almost as much as a shame that they didn't redo the skeletal
steeds as it is that they didn't redo the Carrion.

> And, ranked-up, the 2x4s do kinda seem like imposing statues ...

Ssh, don't call them statues! If word gets out that players can use
these models as scenery GW will hike the price. The actual units are a
bargain compared with what GW charges for scenery...

Phil

Matt C

Playa <johnpaulpontiff@gmail.com> wrote in news:275e19ff-0a64-4a70-bddc-
46f663e5d04e@d19g2000yql.googlegroups.com:

> Hey,
>
> On Apr 5, 8:17?pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
>> Skeletons riding giant cobras
>
> Oh, please. That's just silly -
> A 4in plastic snake isn't worth US$20!
> Now, a 4in animatronic bearded cobra STATUE ...
>
> Seriously, those riders simply put them ott, imo.
>
>> you're worried about the historical accuracy
>
> Oh, no - just wondering, "What price alliteration?"
> Are puns somehow of any value to the target demo?
> Also, couldn't CAD guy Google "sphinx"? Or "sabretooth"?
>
> Admittedly, the army photos look favorably impressive -
> The EM team's turquoise/ gold scheme well suits the range.

>snip<

Particularly the one you can rotate on this page:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId...

Kinda makes me want one !

Phil Bowles

On Apr 7, 3:58 pm, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
> Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote in news:275e19ff-0a64-4a70-bddc-
> 46f663e5d...@d19g2000yql.googlegroups.com:
>

> > Hey,
>
> > On Apr 5, 8:17 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
> >> Skeletons riding giant cobras
>
> > Oh, please. That's just silly -
> > A 4in plastic snake isn't worth US$20!
> > Now, a 4in animatronic bearded cobra STATUE ...
>
> > Seriously, those riders simply put them ott, imo.
>
> >> you're worried about the historical accuracy
>
> > Oh, no - just wondering, "What price alliteration?"
> > Are puns somehow of any value to the target demo?
> > Also, couldn't CAD guy Google "sphinx"? Or "sabretooth"?
>
> > Admittedly, the army photos look favorably impressive -
> > The EM team's turquoise/ gold scheme well suits the range.
> >snip<
>
> Particularly the one you can rotate on this page:
>
> http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId...
>
> Kinda makes me want one !

It looks great from the front (except for the fact that it's so anti-
fluff - why on Earth would Tomb Kings make skeleton-motif statues?
Most of these things are meant to be animated tomb guardians from the
period when they were still alive. And since Tomb Kings are all rather
pissed off about the whole "being undead and skeletal" thing, any
monuments they constructed during their 'afterlife' would presumably
not be made to revere their despised skeletal form). But the Assyrian
wings are out of place and badly-scaled, and the tail is terrible.
Why, in any case, did the Nehekharans build their sphinx in the form
of manticores?

Phil

JohnPaulPontiff

Hey,

On Apr 7, 3:58 pm, mattc <n...@noway.jose> wrote:
> the one you can rotate

Yeah, he turned out a little bit greener than the rest:

http://postimage.org/image/...

Chalcedony blue better suits the motif, imo.
Not that the green-blue looks bad, but ...

> Kinda makes me want one !

Kinda makes me want to watch Terminator again!

http://postimage.org/image/...

Matt: "Don't make me bust you up, man!"

Playa

Blackheart

On Apr 5, 5:51 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What, after they've established a reliable resin works in China?
> I'm shocked. Shocked!

I'm not 100% sold on the "switch to resin" move yet. I've also heard
that the resin works isn't staying in China.

Doctor Rock

"Phil Bowles" <pbowles@aol.com> wrote in message

> But the Assyrian
> wings are out of place and badly-scaled

It FLIES, duh. Force yourself to think like a GW studio author, and it all
makes sense. Paint thinner helps

Phil Bowles

On Apr 8, 7:50 am, "Doctor Rock" <mala...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> "Phil Bowles" <pbow...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > But the Assyrian
> > wings are out of place and badly-scaled
>
> It FLIES, duh.  Force yourself to think like a GW studio author, and it all
> makes sense.  Paint thinner helps

Sphinxes can have wings, it's just the style of them is wrong for the
Egyptian motif (quite apart from being too long and thin - even a
magically animated rock would have trouble staying aloft with those).

Still don't see why the scorpion tail - I'm sure there's interesting
background to be made out of an Egyptian-analogue culture in a fantasy
world that would lead to them revering manticores where ours revered
lions, but I'm pretty sure we won't be getting it. And in GW fluff
aren't Manticores creatures of Chaos, or possibly Dark Elf creations?
Would Khemri have had any knowledge of/exposure to them?

Phil