Robert Hulme

3/31/2005 8:31:00 AM

Is there a way to write web apps that support Microsoft's NTLM
authentication in Ruby?

I'm writing an app for our intranet and I'd like it to /just know/ who
the user is.
'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,?that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.' - Keats
http://www.rob...
http://robhu.livejo...

1 Answer

leon breedt

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 17:30:43 +0900, Robert Hulme <robert.hulme@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to write web apps that support Microsoft's NTLM
> authentication in Ruby?
pam_winbind (Samba 3.x) supports NTLM, and there are Ruby bindings for
PAM, so it would seem possible. If PAM is too much of a headache,
Samba also ships a command-line utility named ntlm_auth.

But no, I don't think there's a pure-Ruby implementation, you'll
probably need to drop into some environment-specific code.

Getting Samba+Winbind working well against a DC is an exercise in its
own right as well :)

Good luck,
Leon