Re: Complete beginner in programming

Peña, Botp

3/31/2005 7:17:00 AM

Roger Grosswiler [mailto:roger@gwch.net] wrote:
//i am a complete beginner in programming, i can handle some
//lines in perl. Does anybody know a EASY source to learn
//oo-programming?

"Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 days" does not assume oo knowledge but will lead
you to the conlusion (unconsciously) that ruby is the easy/fun/powerful way
to learn oop :-)

Much of oops failed because of the language implementation. Ruby will change
that. Just try it.

kind regards -botp

//
//Roger
//

1 Answer

Dave Burt

""Peña, Botp"" <botp@delmonte-phil.com> suggested:
> Roger Grosswiler [mailto:roger@gwch.net] wrote:
> //i am a complete beginner in programming, i can handle some
> //lines in perl. Does anybody know a EASY source to learn
> //oo-programming?
>
> "Teach Yourself Ruby in 21 days" does not assume oo knowledge but will
> lead
> you to the conlusion (unconsciously) that ruby is the easy/fun/powerful
> way
> to learn oop :-)
>
> Much of oops failed because of the language implementation. Ruby will
> change
> that. Just try it.

If you grab that book (I can't vouch for it myself), you can follow Al Abut
as he blogs his 21 days of learning Ruby, starting here, just this past
Monday:

http://alabut.com/nonsense/2005/03/ruby-self-tutorial-day-1-of-21-ge...

You'll find a couple of parallel blogs linked from there, and if you want a
commentary/narrative to learn with rather than from, then this could be just
what you want.

Cheers,
Dave