Respect and Disappointment

Curt Hibbs

3/30/2005 3:21:00 PM

I've finally started a blog. I really didn't want to go public with it
until I was sure I keep it up, but DHH posted a entry to his blog that I
feel compelled to comment on.

You can read about it on my blog:

http://www.bloglines.com/blog...

Curt

146 Answers

Florian Gross

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> You can read about it on my blog:
>
> http://www.bloglines.com/blog...

Please post Ruby stuff to
http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp... as well -- it
aggregates most Ruby weblogs out there which is quite nice.

Thank you!

Curt Hibbs

Florian Gross wrote:
> Curt Hibbs wrote:
>
>> You can read about it on my blog:
>>
>> http://www.bloglines.com/blog...
>

> Please post Ruby stuff to
> http://www.artima.com/buzz/community.jsp... as well -- it
> aggregates most Ruby weblogs out there which is quite nice.

Thanks... its done! I just added my blog to the Ruby Buzz aggregation (I
already subscribe to this, myself... just forgot about adding myself
to it).

Curt Hibbs

Eric Hodel wrote:
> On 30 Mar 2005, at 07:21, Curt Hibbs wrote:
>
>> I've finally started a blog. I really didn't want to go public with it
>> until I was sure I keep it up, but DHH posted a entry to his blog that
>> I feel compelled to comment on.
>>
>> You can read about it on my blog:
>>
>> http://www.bloglines.com/blog...
>

> I'd like to subscribe to your blog, but it seems that the RSS feeds are
> all bloglines RSS feeds...

Yeah, they don't make it easy to find the RSS URL. It is:

http://www.bloglines.com/blog.../rss

I'm going to cc this to ruby-talk in case other's are having the same
problem.

I really think I'm going to switch to another provider, because I want
people to be able to leave comments. I'm thinking about trying Google's
blogger.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a *free* weblog provider. I've also
thought about setting up Typo on my server, but I have a fairly slow
uplink bandwidth and I don't really want to clog that up.

Thanks,
Curt

vruz

> Does anyone have any suggestions for a *free* weblog provider. I've also
> thought about setting up Typo on my server, but I have a fairly slow
> uplink bandwidth and I don't really want to clog that up.

Typo is more like a full-blown (and complex) content management system
more appropriate for maybe an online publication, which seems to be a
different business than a blog.

On the other hand, the other option you suggest about using Blogger
(that's the name of the original 'blog' which then Google acquired)
may be too simple if you plan going beyond the traditional personal
blog. Blogger is probably best suited for personal blogs of an
individual or small group of friends.

If it's a ruby-related blog (as I assume it must probably be) and
given the number of fans of your work existing in the rubysphere I
feel confident you will probably be offered plenty of bandwidth and
disk space to run a blog written in Ruby.
(which is good for extensibility and scalability, I've heard :-)

Keep up with the good work !
cheers,
vruz

Matthias Luedtke

vruz wrote:
>>Does anyone have any suggestions for a *free* weblog provider. I've also
>>thought about setting up Typo on my server, but I have a fairly slow
>>uplink bandwidth and I don't really want to clog that up.
>

> Typo is more like a full-blown (and complex) content management system
> more appropriate for maybe an online publication, which seems to be a
> different business than a blog.

I assume Curt is rather thinking of http://blog.le... .

Kind regards,
Matthias

vruz

huh, it seems like I misunderstood
when you said 'Typo' I though you were talking about Typo3
(http://www...)
which is a popular CMS (written in php)

Robby Russell

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 04:45 +0900, vruz wrote:
> huh, it seems like I misunderstood
> when you said 'Typo' I though you were talking about Typo3
> (http://www...)
> which is a popular CMS (written in php)

yeah, the other Typo. :-)

http://typo.lee...

I use it for my rails stuff: http://www.robbyon...

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730 | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP, Ruby, and PostgreSQL Development
* http://www.robbyon...

Josef Pospisil

Hello Curt,

cause you don't have comments and David stop comments of this story,
I'll put my opinion here, even if everybody has this thread in ignored.

I fully agree with David and reaction like he is lame, unprofesional
and so are blind in my eyes. It was just his personal view (as I feel
it, but I'm not native speaker as you can see around, so maybe I've
missed something), and maybe reaction like this speaks more about
people writting it (and many of them are authorities for me). I think
that not so many people in our little software world are bigger
proffesinals and totaly seeing forward people like David is. We now
have (as I can see it) one of the best domain specific language for
free, do you think it should happen if David was using wintel? I'dont.

And for funding. I'm living in Czech Republic, and macs are sooo
expensive here (30pc more than in states) and wages are.... guess, but
year ago I've managed to get 12" PB from USA through one friend (funny
she was in Vegas on IBM yearly conference). It costs me half year work
in my university job, but I'm still feeling that it worth every penny
and I get my money back, from work I've done on it. Surely I could do
it on my freebsd machine too, but ... not with such leisure and
happiness. And with no flame, it's just like changing the way you work
on computer (butler, witch, growl ..), I feel like my computer is
working for me (same with ruby and rails), not that I'm working for
him. I think, that if I didn't buy one I never know about Rails, cause
I didn't have time to explore it.

So it's my really long, bad written, late.... and so comment. Sorry for
disturbing, it was just on my mind and I had to say. Even if I'm wrong.

See ya in Prague one day :-). Do you know that czech republic has the
most advanced net (km/person) of railroads in the world?

--
Ing. Josef Pospisil
On 30.3.2005, at 17:21, Curt Hibbs wrote:

> I've finally started a blog. I really didn't want to go public with it
> until I was sure I keep it up, but DHH posted a entry to his blog that
> I feel compelled to comment on.
>
> You can read about it on my blog:
>
> http://www.bloglines.com/blog...
>
> Curt

Richard Dale

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> I've finally started a blog. I really didn't want to go public with it
> until I was sure I keep it up, but DHH posted a entry to his blog that I
> feel compelled to comment on.
>
> You can read about it on my blog:
>
> http://www.bloglines.com/blog...
I mainly use LinuxPPC on Macs. How many DHH brownie points do I score for
that?

I prefer using KDE 3.4 over Mac OS X for program development, and think the
Qt/KDE application framework is as good as Cocoa, even though I've spent 10
years as a professional NeXT/Objective-C programmer.

-- Richard

Bill Atkins

Ridiculous. You're saying Rails (I'm assuming that's what you mean by
'best domain specific language for free') wouldn't exist if David used
Wintel? Please describe how these two concepts are related.

Curt Hibbs has a good point, and I think he was completely
professional about it. David's post _was_ pretty arrogant. I
personally don't like OS X. I don't like the idea of having to run my
OS only on proprietary hardware. Nor do I like the Apple (and Gems)
method of giving applications separate directories. And to be honest,
I'm not all that impressed with OS X's interface, as crazy as that
might sound. I'm not going to "get over it" and switch. I've used OS
X computers and they're not for me. I'm sure others have had similar
experiences. And I'm sure others have used OS X and loved it. Good
for them.

The fact is, you pick the environment you're most productive in and
you leave it at that. Curt Hibbs and I (and whoever else) have a
right to be bothered by the article. Paul Graham says a lot of
things; his opinion about what "the best hackers" use isn't really a
solid reason for me to consider shelling out a few thousand dollars
for what, to me, is not an ideal system. David's post suggested that
everyone not using a Mac is being intentionally stubborn or stupid -
that they were too dumb to see that they should be moving to the Mac.
Curt Hibbs had a right to be frustrated, and I'm glad he brought it
up.

Bill Atkins

P.S. I would have posted this comment on LoudThinking, but the
comments have been closed there.

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|