[USENET] - Time for "comp.lang.ruby.announce" ?

Ilias Lazaridis

3/30/2005 7:10:00 AM

I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.

Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.

Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?

.

--
http://laz...
20 Answers

Francis Hwang

Personally, I'd be fine if we _didn't_ have a separate announce group.
I like seeing the announcements as part of the stream, and they often
provoke good discussions.

But then, I think the whole idea of splitting off Usenet groups into
mutually exclusive groups is a sort of old-school,
hierarchical-division maneuver whose need is obviated by good clients &
search interfaces: Google groups, any auto-threading newsgroup or
mailing list client, etc., etc.

On Mar 30, 2005, at 2:14 AM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

> I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.
>
> Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.
>
> Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?
>
> ..
>
> --
> http://laz...

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Robert McGovern

> Personally, I'd be fine if we _didn't_ have a separate announce group.
> I like seeing the announcements as part of the stream, and they often
> provoke good discussions.
>
> But then, I think the whole idea of splitting off Usenet groups into
> mutually exclusive groups is a sort of old-school,
> hierarchical-division maneuver whose need is obviated by good clients &
> search interfaces: Google groups, any auto-threading newsgroup or
> mailing list client, etc., etc.

+1

Christian Neukirchen

Robert McGovern <robert.mcgovern@gmail.com> writes:

>> Personally, I'd be fine if we _didn't_ have a separate announce group.
>> I like seeing the announcements as part of the stream, and they often
>> provoke good discussions.
>>
>> But then, I think the whole idea of splitting off Usenet groups into
>> mutually exclusive groups is a sort of old-school,
>> hierarchical-division maneuver whose need is obviated by good clients &
>> search interfaces: Google groups, any auto-threading newsgroup or
>> mailing list client, etc., etc.
>
> +1

+1, but a newsgroup (or Gmane mirror) of all messages matching /^\[ANN\]/
could be rather useful to some (busy) people, though. Still, they
could read RWN as well.

--
Christian Neukirchen <chneukirchen@gmail.com> http://chneuk...

Francis Hwang

On Mar 31, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Christian Neukirchen wrote:
> +1, but a newsgroup (or Gmane mirror) of all messages matching
> /^\[ANN\]/
> could be rather useful to some (busy) people, though. Still, they
> could read RWN as well.

I think this is the sort of thing that PubSub is good for. I just made
an Atom feed for this, in a week or two I'll try to report on how it
goes. PubSub's worked pretty well for me so far.

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Ryan Davis

On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

> I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.
> Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.
> Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?

As much as I hate to agree with this guy, I'd love to have this list
broken up even just a little. comp.lang.ruby.announce and its email
list equivalent would make me very very happy.

P.S. I brought up this discussion in 2002-10-02 when I thought there
was far too much traffic already (ha!). I'd even downloaded and
analyzed all the traffic on the list and could show the growth rate. I
got shot down horribly. Now it is much worse. :/

--
ryand-ruby@zenspider.com - Seattle.rb -
http://www.zenspider.com/...

Bill Kelly

From: "Ryan Davis" <ryand-ruby@zenspider.com>

> On Mar 29, 2005, at 11:14 PM, Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
>
> > I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.
> > Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.
> > Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?
>
> As much as I hate to agree with this guy, I'd love to have this list
> broken up even just a little. comp.lang.ruby.announce and its email
> list equivalent would make me very very happy.
>
> P.S. I brought up this discussion in 2002-10-02 when I thought there
> was far too much traffic already (ha!). I'd even downloaded and
> analyzed all the traffic on the list and could show the growth rate. I
> got shot down horribly. Now it is much worse. :/

Just FWIW, I counted up [ANN] headers (omitting Re:plies)
from March 1,
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
through the start of this [USENET] thread on March 30,
http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

The count I got was 72 [ANN]ouncements. (i dunno if that's
exact but should be nearly correct.)

Which rounds to 2.3% of the list volume during that time.

I dunno if that's high or not. Just posting for
informational purposes.

Regards,

Bill

Ilias Lazaridis

Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
> I've noticed a high ammount of announcements ("[ANN]") on this group.
>
> Possibly it's time to create an "comp.lang.ruby.announce" usenet group.
>
> Is someone familar with the process of creating new usenet groups?

I've read in some answers wonderfull acronymes and processes of how to
split traffic.

If you can master this, than you can master to merge groups together
into one stream, too (and to split it then again based on you own rulesets).

-

But there are newcomers.

Usenet is simple for newcomers, very simple to read via newsreaders,
very liberal due to the distribution/archival mechanisms.

-

And there are professionals:

"announce" is a group which is commonly used within comp.lang.

It is something like an "prestige-object", too - only languages with
enouth traffic can create this seperate _usenet_ group (and fill it with
traffic).

"announce" is an activity index: simply read it to get an overview of
market and the community activity.

So, please rethink once more if its really neccessary to insist on usage
of tools - instead of simply using the usenet.

[btw: gmane has several disadvantages and can in no way be compared with
usenet]

.

--
http://laz...

gabriele renzi

Bill Kelly ha scritto:

> Just FWIW, I counted up [ANN] headers (omitting Re:plies)
> from March 1,
> http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
> through the start of this [USENET] thread on March 30,
> http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...
>
> The count I got was 72 [ANN]ouncements. (i dunno if that's
> exact but should be nearly correct.)
>
> Which rounds to 2.3% of the list volume during that time.
>
> I dunno if that's high or not. Just posting for
> informational purposes.

to me it is a little thing which is almost unvaluable. If the split
happens, I think that there would be better lines of splitting (i.e.
nuby/pros, web/nonweb, and others)

martinus

> It is something like an "prestige-object", too - only languages with
> enouth traffic can create this seperate _usenet_ group (and fill it with
> traffic).

I strongly dissagree to make any decision based on prestige. Either do
something because it makes sense, or dont do it.

For me the [ANN] announcements in this newsgroup is perfectly ok, it is
nice to have one central point where all the good discussion is going
on. I vote for keeping it as is.

martinus

Ilias Lazaridis

Martin Ankerl wrote:
>> It is something like an "prestige-object", too - only languages with
>> enouth traffic can create this seperate _usenet_ group (and fill it
>> with traffic).
>
> I strongly dissagree to make any decision based on prestige. Either do
> something because it makes sense, or dont do it.

Prestige is a nice side-effect.

Of course it makes sense - this is how usenet works.

> For me the [ANN] announcements in this newsgroup is perfectly ok, it is
> nice to have one central point where all the good discussion is going
> on.

It is one thing to be an (non-standard conformin) special language.

It is another thing to have standard conforming resources.

> I vote for keeping it as is.

there is nothing to vote yet.

If someone starts the process (which does not look so), an public vote
will take place, where you can vote against.

-

[sidenote: this topic is not my main intrest. I've just noticed the high
announce traffic - which simply looks amateurish when posted on the
central usenet-group. I for myself will simply filter out the traffic.]

.

--
http://laz...