comp.programming.threads

Read about logic and USL...

Ramine

4/26/2016 10:16:00 PM

Hello....

Please download here the free book about USL methodology from Baron
Schwartz:

https://www.vividcortex.com/resources/universal-scalab...

You can read clearly inside the book this:

--
"To forecast scalability beyond whatâ??s observable, be pessimistic and
treat the USL as a best-case scenario that wonâ??t really happen. Use

As you have noticed he is not saying "don't forecast", he
is saying clearly: "donâ??t forecast too far out", that means
that you can forecast not too far out. And that's illogical,
simply because, in a parallel program, a locked region using
locks can escape contention at fewer cores and fewer threads
and can than hit the contention at more cores and more threads..
so you can not use nonlinear regression to predict scalability,
so why Baron Schwartz is saying: "donâ??t forecast too far out",
so i mean why then forecast, since you can not predict scalability ?
that's like illogical from Baron Schwartz ! so what is the purpose
of the USL methodology that uses nonlinear regression? its purpose
is to permit us to test and see how much there is contention and how
much there is crosstalk(cache misses etc..), that's all, it's not a tool
to predict scalability.

Thank you,
Amine Moulay Ramdane.
3 Answers

JohnPaulPontiff

Hey,

On Mar 11, 12:30 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
> I've never seen Avatar

Behold!

http://postimage.org/image...

Playa

Phil Bowles

On Mar 11, 11:52 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mar 11, 12:30 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > I've never seen Avatar
>
> Behold!
>
> http://postimage.org/image...

Looks like something from Star Wars. And if GW had wanted to copy it,
why not do it properly? That thing has decently proportioned legs and
torso, and the weapon is almost sensiblly proportioned too. The GW
thing is one of the most hideously-proportioned figures I've seen this
side of War Machine.

Phil

thebosters

On Mar 12, 11:00 am, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 11:52 pm, Playa <johnpaulpont...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hey,
>
> > On Mar 11, 12:30 pm, Phil Bowles <pbow...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > > I've never seen Avatar
>
> > Behold!
>
> >http://postimage.org/image...
>
> Looks like something from Star Wars. And if GW had wanted to copy it,
> why not do it properly? That thing has decently proportioned legs and
> torso, and the weapon is almost sensiblly proportioned too. The GW
> thing is one of the most hideously-proportioned figures I've seen this
> side of War Machine.
>
> Phil

Because if they made it the right proportion then it wouldn't be GW.
I'm pretty sure that out of proportion is part of their IP.