Re: Problem with gems behind a corporate firewall

Peña, Botp

3/29/2005 9:04:00 AM

Glenn Smith [mailto:glenn.ruby@gmail.com] wrote:

//Not sure if this is something that can be sorted by gems or
//is a problem with our network here.
//
//At work I sit behind a proxy server. To run gems I have to run:
//
//gem update -r -p http://<proxy>:<port>
//
//This has in the past allowed me to update to rails 0.10.1 but
//when I run the above again it still just gives me the same
//version. It's like the proxy is supplying what it thinks is
//the latest version because that's what it has in it's cache,
//when really I want to force it to bypass the proxy cache and
//download the latest version.
//
//To bypass this problem for now I disconnect from the lan and
//dial up the internet using the modem and run "gem update"
//this way, which downloads the latest stuff, but it's a pain
//to have to do that all the time.

It's inside your network.
Look at your proxy log for the exact url of the destination of the remote
gem repository, then tell your proxy not to cache your request for gems
coming fr that src...

//
//Cheers
//
//G

kind regards -botp

3 Answers

Glenn Smith

Sounds like I need to talk to our technical support people.
Mmm... don't fancy that on my first day back to work ;o)

Thanx

--

All the best
Glenn

Mirko Maischberger

Hi

Peña, Botp wrote:
> It's inside your network.
> Look at your proxy log for the exact url of the destination of the remote
> gem repository, then tell your proxy not to cache your request for gems
> coming fr that src...

Couldn't this be done, as an improvement, with a "Cache-control" header
in the http request by gem itself?

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.ht...

Mirko

Insane Ranter