Ruby / AstroSpeak

Jay Levitt

3/29/2005 1:07:00 AM

I've been reading the Pickaxe, and creating a few sample apps in rails,
and I'm very, very excited. But I can't actually start coding in it for
another month due to schoolwork. Yet I want to make a contribution to
the community now.

So instead of code, I'll share an idea. Today, Ruby apps are frequently
either an acronym that begins with the letter R (which stands for Ruby),
or some play on the ruby/gem theme. We will no doubt run out of both
shortly.

Proposal: All Ruby apps and sites shall henceforth be called what they
would have been called in any other language, EXCEPT that the first
letter will be changed to "R". In honor of the Jetsons, whose dog
pioneered this linguistic principle, I call this "Astrospeak".

Archetype: The initial implementation should be on rubyforge. In
keeping with Astrospeak, it should, of course, be renamed "Rorge".

I'll be in my office if anyone needs me.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only

james_b

Jay Levitt wrote:
> In honor of the Jetsons, whose dog
> pioneered this linguistic principle, I call this "Astrospeak".

Wouldn't that be "Rastrospeak"?

And would coders following this be called Rastrofarians?

James

Eliah Hecht

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:18:24 +0900, James Britt <james_b@neurogami.com> wrote:
> Jay Levitt wrote:
> > In honor of the Jetsons, whose dog
> > pioneered this linguistic principle, I call this "Astrospeak".
>
> Wouldn't that be "Rastrospeak"?

I suspect the rule is only meant to apply to initial consonants or
consonant clusters, in a manner reminiscent of Pig Latin.

> And would coders following this be called Rastrofarians?

Roders, I believe.

-Eliah.

Jay Levitt

In article <4248E567.1000403@neurogami.com>, james_b@neurogami.com
says...

> Wouldn't that be "Rastrospeak"?

Whoops! Yes, you're right - of course it would. First bug.

--
Jay Levitt |
Wellesley, MA | I feel calm. I feel ready. I can only
Faster: jay at jay dot fm | conclude that's because I don't have a
http://... | full grasp of the situation. - Mark Adler

Kirk Haines

Eliah Hecht wrote:

> I suspect the rule is only meant to apply to initial consonants or
> consonant clusters, in a manner reminiscent of Pig Latin.

"Rut Roh, Rorge!"
-- Astro

Nope. If there is no consonant at the start of the work, R us simply
prepended to the beginning.

Kirk Haines