.Net Compact Framework - WebService

Parker

12/31/2002 6:28:00 PM

Any idea why I am unable to access a local web service using a Smart Device
Application, i.e. Compact Framework? Any help would be appreciated.

I have the same exact web service available on another computer and on my
computer (localhost).

I can consume the web services from either computer using a Windows
Application.

But, using a Smart Device Application, i.e. Compact Framework, I can only
consume the web service on the other computer and not my local computer.

Thanks,
-Art

2 Answers

casey chesnut

use your local boxes machine name, and NOT ip or localhost.
even then ... i would get alot of Timeouts.
wrote about it here:
http://www.learnMobile.NET/Go.aspx?...
an external service worked much better.
Thanks
casey

"Parker" <aparker@qwest.net> wrote in message
> Any idea why I am unable to access a local web service using a Smart
Device
> Application, i.e. Compact Framework? Any help would be appreciated.
>
> I have the same exact web service available on another computer and on my
> computer (localhost).
>
> I can consume the web services from either computer using a Windows
> Application.
>
> But, using a Smart Device Application, i.e. Compact Framework, I can only
> consume the web service on the other computer and not my local computer.
>
> Thanks,
> -Art

Parker

Using the machine name solved the problem although the first hit takes a
long time but subsequent hits are very responsive.

I'll read your article to learn more about external services.

Cheers,

-Art