Adding ODBC connections to Server Explorer

D French

12/30/2002 8:35:00 PM

I can not find out how to add an ODBC database to the
Server Explorer. I can access the server using hand
written code and all works fine.

I just need to access the server using the Explorer.

Thanks
D French
1 Answer

Bob Beauchemin

You can add them to Server Explorer (modulo the capabilities of your ODBC
driver) by selecting the OLE DB provider for ODBC drivers on the providers
tab when adding a connection to server explorer. However, you can't use them
with any Visual Studio wizards until the next (Everett) release of Visual
Studio. And you can't even handcode a string that would use the OLE DB
provider for ODBC drivers (MSDASQL) with the .NET OleDb data provider. You
must use the Odbc data provider (but, as you say, that works fine).

Bob Beauchemin
http://staff.develo...