.net architects do you have the answers to these problems

edward Taaffe

12/30/2002 8:41:00 PM

Hi all,
I have spent the last few days tying to decide on a pattern to use for
future enterprise solutions.
I currently use ntier dna and I am convinced of the benefits here but I am
always willing to listen.

My basic plan is to create a new data access layer to hide the sql server
databases , flat files and mailstore.

I won't interfere for now with the com stuff that is running.
I intend to run the data-access layer on the same server as he main sql
server because it has loads of spare capacity apart from beefing up memory.
I am told this gives top performance.

I intend to run all of the business rules classes/components on middle tier
server, this can scale to many if needed.

I intend to run all of the intranet apps and on an existing web sever with
the .net framework installed. The web server would also be accessing this
business rules layer as would some legacy apps. I have discovered that I can
easily expose some of the .net classes with com interfaces for backward
compatibility and I can live with a small performance hit.

I don't rate the web farm type of set-up here because one web server can
service a phenomenal amount of requests and it really is the applications
which need to scale. Also I have a mixture of apps not all web based and
finally the whole web farm thing is in the other direction form .net IMHO

I have experimented with web services and I like them a lot, they would give
me amazing flexibility to expand the system to share with partners, service
users in the field etc. Also I have a requirement to pass data via xml in
all network hops.
I can not figure out how I might pass this data through layers of the app
without jumping the gun e.g updating direct to the database.

If I use a web service can I then read his xml into a dataset ?
If I do it this way how do I update this back to the database via the data
access layer?
I thought of passing the whole dataset back, but only if I can serialise it
to xml - can this be done?

Sometimes I will need to build the interfaces via xml and xsl should I take
a different approach in this instance?

I played with the vs.net proxy stubs, they are easy to build but are they
raise some questions I.e
is there any point in building new business objects when a dataset or Dom is
itself a business object.
Could these objects now be used and extended with extra methods in .net or
am I jumping the gun.?

Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed and I will be happy to share my
conclusions and findings with everyone.

Edward

--
Regards

Edward Taaffe
______________________________________
www.clickit.co.uk
___________________________________

7 Answers

AJoshi

Edward,
SOAP is a simple OBJECT oriented protocol. A dataset is an object too. If
you return a dataset the underlying framework will convert it to XML. You
have to do nothing. I found that passing datasets as datasets is much faster
than anything else. And that's perfectly portable. You are also free to
create your own classes (essentially structs, since you can't pass methods!)
and use them as parameters to your web methods. The WSDL of your service
will contain enough information about your classes so the client understands
what it's getting. .NET uses the WSDL to create civilized proxies. Web
services use XML as a protocol. That does not mean you have to pass
everything as XML. That's what the framework is for!
Hope this helps and hope this isn't wrong.
A Joshi

"edward Taaffe" <edward@clickit.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
> If I do it this way how do I update this back to the database via the data
> access layer?
> I thought of passing the whole dataset back, but only if I can serialise
it
> to xml - can this be done?
>
> Sometimes I will need to build the interfaces via xml and xsl should I
take
> a different approach in this instance?
>
> I played with the vs.net proxy stubs, they are easy to build but are they
> raise some questions I.e
> is there any point in building new business objects when a dataset or Dom
is
> itself a business object.
> Could these objects now be used and extended with extra methods in .net or
> am I jumping the gun.?
>

> Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed and I will be happy to share my

edward Taaffe

A few other issues which someone may care to comment on:

How easy is it to create a loosely coupled solution with web services.?
e.g. if the service can not deliver a reply I need the application to
proceed. Obviously I can deal with this in the calling objects but will
there be a process hanging on the server where the web service failed?

Is it feasible at this point to provide fairly sensitive data via web
services beyond the firewall. I.e. homeworkers people on trains with a
laptop etc.?

Any comments greatly appreciated.

--
Regards

Edward Taaffe

> [...]
> If I do it this way how do I update this back to the database via the data
> access layer?
> I thought of passing the whole dataset back, but only if I can serialise
it
> to xml - can this be done?
>
> Sometimes I will need to build the interfaces via xml and xsl should I
take
> a different approach in this instance?
>
> I played with the vs.net proxy stubs, they are easy to build but are they
> raise some questions I.e
> is there any point in building new business objects when a dataset or Dom
is
> itself a business object.
> Could these objects now be used and extended with extra methods in .net or
> am I jumping the gun.?
>

> Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed and I will be happy to share my

Really Useful Stuff

Putting application components on the same machine as the DBMS for
performance is a layperson's misconception, and in even modest sized
implementations, often provides worse performance and certainly always worse
scalability

> [...]
> > access layer?
> > I thought of passing the whole dataset back, but only if I can serialise
> it
> > to xml - can this be done?
> >
> > Sometimes I will need to build the interfaces via xml and xsl should I
> take
> > a different approach in this instance?
> >
> > I played with the vs.net proxy stubs, they are easy to build but are
they
> > raise some questions I.e
> > is there any point in building new business objects when a dataset or
Dom
> is
> > itself a business object.
> > Could these objects now be used and extended with extra methods in .net
or
> > am I jumping the gun.?
> >

> > Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed and I will be happy to share

edward Taaffe

You may well be right on this one, but in this case I am considering it
because I only intend placing web services there and their only purpose will
be to query the database via stored procedures and pass the data to a
calling business object.
It is rare that a sql sever uses more than 8 or 10 percent of the machines
processing capability which should mean ample processing, The memory would
be beefed up to match the need and there is virtually no storage
requirement.
If you take into account the fact that there is no network jump to the
database, I find it hard to see how this would not perform well.
In the event that it does not perform the entire assembly can be xcopied to
another server and run there with no changes.

All of the above of course is theory in this case and I appreciate any
arguments you may offer.

--
Regards

Edward Taaffe
______________________________________
www.clickit.co.uk

<news@news.com> wrote in message news:uZp0sENsCHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP12...
> [...]
serialise
> > it
> > > to xml - can this be done?
> > >
> > > Sometimes I will need to build the interfaces via xml and xsl should I
> > take
> > > a different approach in this instance?
> > >
> > > I played with the vs.net proxy stubs, they are easy to build but are
> they
> > > raise some questions I.e
> > > is there any point in building new business objects when a dataset or
> Dom
> > is
> > > itself a business object.
> > > Could these objects now be used and extended with extra methods in
.net
> or
> > > am I jumping the gun.?
> > >

> > > Any suggestions or ideas would be welcomed and I will be happy to

edward Taaffe

"AJoshi" <ajoshi@approva.net> wrote in message
> Edward,
> SOAP is a simple OBJECT oriented protocol. A dataset is an object too. If
> you return a dataset the underlying framework will convert it to XML. You
> have to do nothing. I found that passing datasets as datasets is much
faster
> than anything else. And that's perfectly portable.

I take it you are saying that the framework will pass an xml stream when I
pass a dataset in my code - i.e. serialize and deserialze. Sounds good to
me.

I still have a problem with updates. Only the DAL (web services) will be
able to make direct contact with the database, do you suggest I pass the
dataset right back to a websevice which then executes its update method or
am I just taking a boulder to a nut.

Should I instead just ignore the datasets update features and pass the
changes through via a soap envelope to a webmethod.
This method would of course make a joke of all the caching and other
features of the dataset.
Am I way off the mark here?

You are also free to
> create your own classes (essentially structs, since you can't pass
methods!)
> and use them as parameters to your web methods.

If I do this sureley it will not serialize the structs - because some of the
software I do is for government and they insist on only transporting data
via xml, I tend to standardize all our work this way to save confusion.

Really Useful Stuff

You're thinking in terms of single application single server or worse single
application multiple server - not a popular mode of operation given the IT
spending climate. We never run our shared sql boxes at such low levels of
utilization, and we never let projects put application components on the
DBMS machine. If you're app will never see the light of day outside of
your company do what you wish, but no way is mixing workloads in the
distributed world an economy in the large scale. Placing tiers on shared
machines that host only one tier provides the utmost in econmoics,
scaleability and performance - the network penalaty is a legacy conception
from the days of 10/100Mb single duplex networks.

> [...]
> > Putting application components on the same machine as the DBMS for
> > performance is a layperson's misconception, and in even modest sized
> > implementations, often provides worse performance and certainly always
> worse
> > scalability
> >
> > "edward Taaffe" <edward@clickit.co.uk> wrote in message
> > >
> > > A few other issues which someone may care to comment on:
> > >
> > > How easy is it to create a loosely coupled solution with web
services.?
> > > e.g. if the service can not deliver a reply I need the application to
> > > proceed. Obviously I can deal with this in the calling objects but
will
> > > there be a process hanging on the server where the web service failed?
> > >
> > > Is it feasible at this point to provide fairly sensitive data via web
> > > services beyond the firewall. I.e. homeworkers people on trains with a

AJoshi

I think if I wanted to change something in the dataset, I'd call a specific
method to change something. Say the dataset gives you a list of all books in
the library of congress (hopefully in small chunks). If you want to change
the attribute of one book, you don't want to send the whole library back,
right? I haven't understood everything completely, but there is something
called a diffgram for a dataset so that only changes go back and forth. If
you use the msft soap tool kit there is a tool that lets you see what
actually travels on the wire.
About structs: Yes Virginia, the underlying framework will easily serialize
structs into XML and you will have to do nothing. You can assure the
government that only XML will travel on the wire.
Again, I hope I am right.