John Bugarin

12/28/2002 5:20:00 PM

I am very pleased with the capabilities of WSE. What about the WSDL,
which is suppose to describe the interface to the web service. This is
somewhat of what came first, the chicken or the egg.

Is there a way to specify what the web services is expecting (i.e.,
signiture, encryption, attachment, routing, etc.) so it is described in the
WSDL. If so how can this be done?

If the WSDL specifies these new features, how does the client proxy
generation change?

John

5 Answers

Scott Swigart

I don't believe that there is a standard mechanism for specifying this
information in the WSDL (for example, that a web service requires a Username
token.)

--
Scott Swigart
www.3leaf.com

"John Bugarin" <jbugarin@infokinetics.com> wrote in message
> I am very pleased with the capabilities of WSE. What about the WSDL,
> which is suppose to describe the interface to the web service. This is
> somewhat of what came first, the chicken or the egg.
>
> Is there a way to specify what the web services is expecting (i.e.,
> signiture, encryption, attachment, routing, etc.) so it is described in
the
> WSDL. If so how can this be done?
>
> If the WSDL specifies these new features, how does the client proxy
> generation change?
>
> John

John Bugarin

Scott,

Technicall, you can specify headers in WSDL. If you do, they .NET Proxy
class includes them. However, the current web services enhancements don't
appear (at least from documentation and using them) to effect the WSDL
generation. This implies, that a client would need to know more that what
is stated in the WSDL.

John

"Scott Swigart" <scott@3leaf.com> wrote in message
> I don't believe that there is a standard mechanism for specifying this
> information in the WSDL (for example, that a web service requires a
Username
> token.)
>

> --
> Scott Swigart
> www.3leaf.com
> Early Adopter Weblog: http://radio.weblogs.co...
>
> "John Bugarin" <jbugarin@infokinetics.com> wrote in message
> > I am very pleased with the capabilities of WSE. What about the WSDL,
> > which is suppose to describe the interface to the web service. This
is
> > somewhat of what came first, the chicken or the egg.
> >
> > Is there a way to specify what the web services is expecting (i.e.,
> > signiture, encryption, attachment, routing, etc.) so it is described in
> the
> > WSDL. If so how can this be done?
> >
> > If the WSDL specifies these new features, how does the client proxy
> > generation change?
> >
> > John

John Bugarin

Can I get an answer from Microsoft on this question?

John

"John Bugarin" <jbugarin@infokinetics.com> wrote in message
> I am very pleased with the capabilities of WSE. What about the WSDL,
> which is suppose to describe the interface to the web service. This is
> somewhat of what came first, the chicken or the egg.
>
> Is there a way to specify what the web services is expecting (i.e.,
> signiture, encryption, attachment, routing, etc.) so it is described in
the
> WSDL. If so how can this be done?
>
> If the WSDL specifies these new features, how does the client proxy
> generation change?
>
> John

Paul Appleby [MSFT]

At the present time the Web Services Enhancements do not affect the WSDL
since ther are no standard ways to do this, there is more background on thi
ssubject in Tim Ewald's article on programming with WSE on MSDN
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/webservices/default.aspx?pull=/library/...
bsrv/html/progwse.asp), the key paragraphs are pasted below
.......................... However, it is important to note that, today at
least, you do have to stay inside a particular set of interoperability
boundaries. Unlike the basic Web service protocols, which are widely
implemented across many platforms, there are very few toolkits that
implement any of the more advanced Web service protocols. If you use WSE to
build a Web service, you have to use the WSE or a compatible toolkit to
build the client. In the short term, that essentially restricts the use of
WSE to integrating applications within an enterprise (EAI) or, more
interestingly, across core organizational boundaries, i.e., with particular
business-to-business partners. Since the benefit of having support for
message-based security that is not tied to particular HTTP connections and
the ability to route messages are both extremely useful in these scenarios,
having to adopt a toolkit that understands these protocols is a small price
to pay to enable them.

Beyond the limited number of tools that understand the latest protocols,
there is another reason WSE is best used in situations where you and the
person implementing the code at the other end of the pipe can collaborate on
the design of your application. Specifically, WSE does not generate WSDL
definitions that reflect how particular protocols are being used. The reason
for this is simple: there are not yet standard ways to convey the service
requirements of either a client or a service. How do you specify that a
service wants request messages authenticated with a username and a hashed
password, while a client wants response messages to be encrypted using the
public key of from its digital certificate? (While you could write WSDL
extensions that convey a server's requirements, you can't do the same thing
for a client, which isn't described in WSDL.) In the absence of a generally
accepted solution to this problem, WSE leaves it up to you. In short, Web
Services Enhancements give you both a lot of power and a lot of
responsibility.................

http://www.microsoft.com/info/cp...

> Can I get an answer from Microsoft on this question?
>
> John
>
> "John Bugarin" <jbugarin@infokinetics.com> wrote in message
> > I am very pleased with the capabilities of WSE. What about the WSDL,
> > which is suppose to describe the interface to the web service. This
is
> > somewhat of what came first, the chicken or the egg.
> >
> > Is there a way to specify what the web services is expecting (i.e.,
> > signiture, encryption, attachment, routing, etc.) so it is described in
> the
> > WSDL. If so how can this be done?
> >
> > If the WSDL specifies these new features, how does the client proxy
> > generation change?
> >
> > John

John Bugarin