Doug Loi

12/18/2002 3:37:00 AM

Ok, I downloaded the SDK, the Quickstarts run great, but
how do I edit the source (html) files with Visual Studio?
Just opening a file won't give me the design view. How in
the world do I set up the project or solution, or do I
even need to do that?

any help humbly taken.
3 Answers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Are you talking Visual Studio, or Visual Studio .NET? If Visual Studio, you
do not have a lot of choices; if VS.NET, you can create a project in an
existing folder and use the folders in question. You then choose the show
all files button and add files. You will likely have a bit of debugging.

If you do not have VS.NET, you can download IDEs for development from
www.asp.net and www.icsharpcode.com. The first is aimed at web apps, while
the second does a bit of both, but is more code oriented than UI (at least
it was the last I looked at it).

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think outside the box!
****
"Doug Loi" <dougls@comcastdotnet> wrote in message
> Ok, I downloaded the SDK, the Quickstarts run great, but
> how do I edit the source (html) files with Visual Studio?
> Just opening a file won't give me the design view. How in
> the world do I set up the project or solution, or do I
> even need to do that?
>
> any help humbly taken.

(Mike Clay (MSFT))

Hi Doug,

The same thing happens for me as well. It seems as if those files were not
intended to be opened that way. I would go with Greg's suggestion.....that
worked for me also.

Mike Clay, MCSD
Beta Technical Support

© 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Doug Loi

I didn't realize you could add all the files at once.
That certainly helps. But you're right; there's a lot of
debugging still.

I duplicated the src="whatever.cs" to
codeBehind="whatever.cs" in the files I'm trying to open
so it at least tries to open aspx pages visually.

I've managed to get through a number of errors. But
there's something wrong I can't figure out. I'm using the
portal example, and the personalization modules are
causing a problem. When I try to open PageHeader.ascx for
example, I get this error:

"PageHeader -- The base class 'PortalModuleControl' could
not be loaded. Ensure the assembly has been referenced or
built if it is part of the project."

I think I need to build just the personalization dll's
again. But I don't know how to compile only certain files
from visual studio. I can't compile the whole application
because it says it's looking for a Main method.

What does MS expect you're examining these quickstarts
with, if they were not intended for Visual Studio?