microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Java Applets - Interacting

Wayne Gibson

Was wondering if anybody could help me with the following problem..

I have written a java applet to display some of my 3D Models. I choose to
write it in JAVA to avoid the 20MB download for the CLR, also so that it
would run on other platforms.

But I would like to use the .NET framework (C#) to do all the interface work
and database connections.

Was wondering if anybody has seen or has an example code for communication
with a Java applet, either implement in the .NET code or on a seperate
frame.

Thanks

Wayne Gibson

6 Answers

Eric Nichols

Well, I'm sure you could hack up some way to make it work, but its been
my experience that Microsoft and Java don't play well together. I
always end up with headaches when I have to integrate microsoft stuff
with other systems... or for that matter, same headaches integrating
java based environments with MS... it all depends on the perspective.

Unless you really have some compelling reason, I would go all java or
all microsoft. either one will work.

--Eric

Wayne Gibson wrote:
> Hi,
> Was wondering if anybody could help me with the following problem..
>
> I have written a java applet to display some of my 3D Models. I choose to
> write it in JAVA to avoid the 20MB download for the CLR, also so that it
> would run on other platforms.
>
> But I would like to use the .NET framework (C#) to do all the interface work
> and database connections.
>
> Was wondering if anybody has seen or has an example code for communication
> with a Java applet, either implement in the .NET code or on a seperate
> frame.
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne Gibson

Michel Gallant \(MVP\)

Not sure about C# and Java communication. Certainly direct communciation
would be rather difficult, but intermediate approaches (process linkage, temp
files etc..) are always possible.

I have had great success using Java and COM and win32 api (of course, it DOES
require the ubiquitous MS JVM). The advantage is that you are pretty sure almost
all of your win32 clients (excepting some XP systems) will have that JVM
readily available.

- Michel Gallant
MVP Security
JavaScience Consulting
http://pages.istar.c...

"Eric Nichols" <nichols@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Well, I'm sure you could hack up some way to make it work, but its been
> my experience that Microsoft and Java don't play well together. I
> always end up with headaches when I have to integrate microsoft stuff
> with other systems... or for that matter, same headaches integrating
> java based environments with MS... it all depends on the perspective.
>
> Unless you really have some compelling reason, I would go all java or
> all microsoft. either one will work.
>
> --Eric
>
> Wayne Gibson wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Was wondering if anybody could help me with the following problem..
> >
> > I have written a java applet to display some of my 3D Models. I choose to
> > write it in JAVA to avoid the 20MB download for the CLR, also so that it
> > would run on other platforms.
> >
> > But I would like to use the .NET framework (C#) to do all the interface work
> > and database connections.
> >
> > Was wondering if anybody has seen or has an example code for communication
> > with a Java applet, either implement in the .NET code or on a seperate
> > frame.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wayne Gibson

Marcelo J. Birnbach

Why not creating a WebService with the functionallity and call it from the
Applet?

"Michel Gallant (MVP)" <neutron@istar.ca> wrote in message
> Not sure about C# and Java communication. Certainly direct communciation
> would be rather difficult, but intermediate approaches (process linkage,
temp
> files etc..) are always possible.
>
> I have had great success using Java and COM and win32 api (of course, it
DOES
> require the ubiquitous MS JVM). The advantage is that you are pretty sure
almost
> all of your win32 clients (excepting some XP systems) will have that JVM
> readily available.
>
> - Michel Gallant
> MVP Security
> JavaScience Consulting
> http://pages.istar.c...
>
> "Eric Nichols" <nichols@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> > Well, I'm sure you could hack up some way to make it work, but its been
> > my experience that Microsoft and Java don't play well together. I
> > always end up with headaches when I have to integrate microsoft stuff
> > with other systems... or for that matter, same headaches integrating
> > java based environments with MS... it all depends on the perspective.
> >
> > Unless you really have some compelling reason, I would go all java or
> > all microsoft. either one will work.
> >
> > --Eric
> >
> > Wayne Gibson wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Was wondering if anybody could help me with the following problem..
> > >
> > > I have written a java applet to display some of my 3D Models. I
choose to
> > > write it in JAVA to avoid the 20MB download for the CLR, also so that
it
> > > would run on other platforms.
> > >
> > > But I would like to use the .NET framework (C#) to do all the
interface work
> > > and database connections.
> > >
> > > Was wondering if anybody has seen or has an example code for
communication
> > > with a Java applet, either implement in the .NET code or on a seperate
> > > frame.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Wayne Gibson

(Mike Moore [MS])

Hi Wayne,

Did you want this applet to remain in the browser (without posting back)
while having two-way communication with the server?
If you use .NET on the server, there are two options: remoting and web
services.
You cannot use the Java RMI (Java Remote Method Invocation) because it is
not available on Windows.

Below is information on remoting and web services. I suspect you will be
more interested in web services. For this, your applet will need to send
and receive HTTP requests/responses.

I do not have any Java applet sample code.

1) Remoting vs Web Services

Choosing Communication Options in .NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconchoosing...
ionoptionsinnet.asp

Performance Comparison: .NET Remoting vs. ASP.NET Web Services
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnbda/html/bdadotnet...

2) Web Services

XML Web Services Created Using ASP.NET and XML Web Service Clients
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconaspnetbu...
ervicesaspnetwebserviceclients.asp

3) Remoting

Accessing Objects in Other Application Domains Using .NET Remoting
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconaccessin...
otherapplicationdomainsusingnetremoting.asp

An Introduction to Microsoft .NET Remoting Framework
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/introre...

---
Please repost if you think there is more I can do to assist.

Thank you, Mike Moore
Microsoft, ASP.NET

--------------------
>From: "Michel Gallant \(MVP\)" <neutron@istar.ca>
>Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet,m
icrosoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk,microsoft.public.dotnet.general
>Subject: Re: Java Applets - Interacting
>Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 11:56:18 -0500
>
>Not sure about C# and Java communication. Certainly direct communciation
>would be rather difficult, but intermediate approaches (process linkage,
temp
>files etc..) are always possible.
>
>I have had great success using Java and COM and win32 api (of course, it
DOES
>require the ubiquitous MS JVM). The advantage is that you are pretty sure
almost
>all of your win32 clients (excepting some XP systems) will have that JVM
>readily available.
>
> - Michel Gallant
> MVP Security
> JavaScience Consulting
> http://pages.istar.c...
>
>"Eric Nichols" <nichols@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I'm sure you could hack up some way to make it work, but its been
>> my experience that Microsoft and Java don't play well together. I
>> always end up with headaches when I have to integrate microsoft stuff
>> with other systems... or for that matter, same headaches integrating
>> java based environments with MS... it all depends on the perspective.
>>
>> Unless you really have some compelling reason, I would go all java or
>> all microsoft. either one will work.
>>
>> --Eric
>>
>> Wayne Gibson wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > Was wondering if anybody could help me with the following problem..
>> >
>> > I have written a java applet to display some of my 3D Models. I
choose to
>> > write it in JAVA to avoid the 20MB download for the CLR, also so that
it
>> > would run on other platforms.
>> >
>> > But I would like to use the .NET framework (C#) to do all the
interface work
>> > and database connections.
>> >
>> > Was wondering if anybody has seen or has an example code for
communication
>> > with a Java applet, either implement in the .NET code or on a seperate
>> > frame.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Wayne Gibson

(Mike Moore [MS])

Yesterday I posted to just one of the cross-postings of this thread. I
didn't see Marcelo's reply till after I posted mine.