microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Using .NET 1.1 in VS.NET

Damien Foggon

12/5/2002 6:03:00 PM

I've downloaded the final beta of 1.1 and have it installed alongside 1.0.
How do I build in VS.NET to the new runtime? I'd assumed that it was an
option in the project properties but apparently not...

3 Answers

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Move out to the command line compiler and make a batch file to compile the
application. Currently, the IDE is not set to use 1.1, and, while I have
seen some tweaks to attempt this, I cannot personally vouch that any of them
work with any regularity.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

****
Think outside the box!
****
"Damien Foggon" <dfoggon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uJ2$wBInCHA.2324@TK2MSFTNGP12...
> I've downloaded the final beta of 1.1 and have it installed alongside 1.0.
> How do I build in VS.NET to the new runtime? I'd assumed that it was an
> option in the project properties but apparently not...

Damien Foggon

I got it to work by changing the reference path for the project to the new
framework directory. The adding of the DLLs as references still reports the
1.0 version numbers (seem to remember that we have to do something else to
get the GAC entries listed in the VS.NET dialog) but the reference path is
used to determine which version is actually added and not the version that
is selected in the dialog. Adding a DLL from 1.0 adds another entry into
the reference path for 1.0 and you have to change the ordering to build to
1.1 - easy enough to build to the different runtimes by simply changing the
ordering in the project properties.

With some brief testing it also seems to pick up the Intellisense by
reflection from the runtime correctly and a looking at the manifest for the
assembly it references the 1.1 DLLs correctly. Changing the reference path
order changes the manifest details correctly as well.

Can't find any documentation on this but it seems to work...

Damien

"Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer)" <N0SpamMPleezEgbworld@comcast.netN0SpamMPleezE>
wrote in message news:eRejXLInCHA.2392@TK2MSFTNGP12...
> Move out to the command line compiler and make a batch file to compile the
> application. Currently, the IDE is not set to use 1.1, and, while I have
> seen some tweaks to attempt this, I cannot personally vouch that any of
them
> work with any regularity.
>
> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> ****
> Think outside the box!

> ****
> "Damien Foggon" <dfoggon@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I've downloaded the final beta of 1.1 and have it installed alongside
1.0.
> > How do I build in VS.NET to the new runtime? I'd assumed that it was an
> > option in the project properties but apparently not...

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

One thing that one of our people found, when playing with 1.1 in the 1.0
VS.NET is it sometimes does not compile against all of the proper versions,
even when tweaking is done.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA