microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

v1.1 Final Beta not registered in GAC???

Bill Mattox

NETMaster

> Is this correct?

Yes,
most 1.0 Assemblies have version 1.0.3300,
most 1.1 Final Beta Assemblies have version 1.0.5000.

But you should have a path like
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

--
Thomas Scheidegger - MVP .NET - 'NETMaster'
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_d... - http://dnetm...

Tomas Restrepo [MVP]

Bill,

> I installed v1.1 Final Beta but notice that there is no v1.1 registered in
the GAC,
> but, for some odd reason MULTIPLE veriouns of 1.0 with varing public key
> tokens. Is this correct?

Yes it is. And v1.1 *is* there on the GAC. The assembly version for v1.1 is
1.0.5000.0, which you can see in there.

--
Tomas Restrepo
tomasr@mvps.org

Bill Mattox

Why do they refer to this as v1.1 yet version it in the GAC as 1.0? Will it
change when it goes final?

"Thomas Scheidegger [MVP] NETMaster" <spam.netmaster@swissonline.ch> wrote
in message news:#lNmLtVmCHA.2840@tkmsftngp04...
> > Is this correct?
>
> Yes,
> most 1.0 Assemblies have version 1.0.3300,
> most 1.1 Final Beta Assemblies have version 1.0.5000.
>

> But you should have a path like
> C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322
>

> --
> Thomas Scheidegger - MVP .NET - 'NETMaster'
> http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_d... - http://dnetm...

Tomas Restrepo [MVP]

Bill,

> Why do they refer to this as v1.1 yet version it in the GAC as 1.0? Will
it
> change when it goes final?

The framework version and the assembly versions for a release aren't equal,
not even for v1.0 of the framework. Why they did it that way, I don't know,
but that's the way it is :)

--
Tomas Restrepo
tomasr@mvps.org

Bill Mattox

But major/minor are in sync, with the difference being in build/QFE, which
is reasonable.

How odd they would finally come up with a decent versioning scheme... and
then not adhere to it.

"Tomas Restrepo [MVP]" <tomasr@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Bill,
>
> > Why do they refer to this as v1.1 yet version it in the GAC as 1.0? Will
> it
> > change when it goes final?
>
> The framework version and the assembly versions for a release aren't
equal,
> not even for v1.0 of the framework. Why they did it that way, I don't
know,
> but that's the way it is :)
>
> --
> Tomas Restrepo
> tomasr@mvps.org

Tomas Restrepo [MVP]

Bill,

> But major/minor are in sync, with the difference being in build/QFE, which
> is reasonable.

Actually, not at all. v1.0 of the framework is v1.0.3705, with the
assemblies in it having version v1.0.3300. Final beta build of v1.1 of the
framework is v1.1.4322, with the asemblies on it being version v1.0.5000.
See what I mean?

--
Tomas Restrepo
tomasr@mvps.org

Bill Mattox

But major/minor is STILL 1.0/1.0 for both final release and assemblies for
1.0 but 1.1/1.0 for the 1.1 release. It appears that each assembly within a
release is going to version on its own unique cycle (including major/minor).
This seems to have a potential for confusion as more and more framework
versions are released.

> Bill,
>
> > But major/minor are in sync, with the difference being in build/QFE,
which
> > is reasonable.
>
> Actually, not at all. v1.0 of the framework is v1.0.3705, with the
> assemblies in it having version v1.0.3300. Final beta build of v1.1 of the
> framework is v1.1.4322, with the asemblies on it being version v1.0.5000.
> See what I mean?
>
> --
> Tomas Restrepo
> tomasr@mvps.org

Shawn Farkas [MS]

Thoms,

Not quite -- the assembly version for 1.1 is 1.1.4322. The file version
for 1.1 is 1.0.5000. See my other post for more information.

-Shawn

> Bill,
>
> > I installed v1.1 Final Beta but notice that there is no v1.1 registered
in
> the GAC,
> > but, for some odd reason MULTIPLE veriouns of 1.0 with varing public key
> > tokens. Is this correct?
>
> Yes it is. And v1.1 *is* there on the GAC. The assembly version for v1.1
is
> 1.0.5000.0, which you can see in there.
>
> --
> Tomas Restrepo
> tomasr@mvps.org

Shawn Farkas [MS]

Hi Bill, Thomas, and Thomas,

The confusion you are running into here has to do with the difference
between .Net assembly versions and Windows file versions. Version 1.0 of
the .Net framework had an assembly version of 1.0.3705 and a file version of
1.0.3300. The final beta of version 1.1 have assembly versions of 1.1.4322
and file versions of 1.0.5000.
Assembly versions and file versions are independent concepts and are
used for two entirely different reasons. The Assembly version is used to
determine the binding of the assembly. Different versions of the same
assembly can reside in the GAC and be loaded by other assemblies calling for
specific versions. Types that are defined in different versions of the same
assembly are considered different types by the runtime.
File versions fill the role they always have with Windows of identifying
releases and builds.

-Shawn

NETMaster

> final beta of version 1.1 have assembly versions of 1.1.4322 and file versions of 1.0.5000

IMHO it is just the reverse.

If I check:

C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\ System.dll

it has the file-version (explorer) : 1.1.4322.510
and in manifest (ildasm):
.assembly System
{
.ver 1:0:5000:0