microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Install an assembly in the GAC

Steve

11/19/2002 4:03:00 PM

How can I install an assembly into the GAC through an msi
setup?
2 Answers

Phil Wilson

A lot of the "how" depends on what tool you're using to build the msi file. You need to populate the
MsiAssembly and MsiAssemblyName tables in the msi file (look in the Platform SDK). If you're using
Visual Studio Installer, when you're in the File System View, right-click on File System on Target
Machine - it has a GAC option. Having done that you can add your assemblies to it. InstallShield,
Wise and others have installer products that let you specify the GAC as the destination. Most tools
do useful things like automatically pull out strong name, version etc into those msi tables.

"Steve" <sdonaldson@farabi.com> wrote in message
> How can I install an assembly into the GAC through an msi
> setup?

Raffaele Limosani [MS]

Have a look at the following article:

Q324168 HOW TO: Deploy an Assembly to the Target Computer Global Assembly
Cache
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-...

HTH and bye,
Raffaele Limosani