microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.sdk

Directory.CreateDirectory not working on Shared Folders?

Karl J. Treier

11/7/2002 4:11:00 PM

If I call Directory.CreateDirectory(strPath) and strPath is a mapped drive
or UNC it throws an execption, I have verified that the Everyone Group has
Create Folder permissions, anyone any ideas what's going on here?

The error below was generated when strPath =
"\\172.29.17.35\e$\FileRepository\ProductionA\FileServer\Attachment
Document\"

Could not find a part of the path "\\172.29.17.35\e$".

Exception Details: System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a
part of the path "\\172.29.17.35\e$".

4 Answers

(Mike Clay (MSFT))

Hey Karl,

I'm assuming you are using IIS Anonymous and\or Integrated authentication.
In this scenario the account that is trying to create the folder to the UNC
path is not associated with the "Everyone" group. I'm not really sure what
the exact account its using, but you can practically give "Everyone" Full
Control and still see the same behavior. You may want to consider Basic
authentication or enabling impersonation in your web.config.

Mike Clay, MCSD
Beta Technical Support

© 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

msnews.microsoft.com

If computer is part of AD then actually account would be
DOMAINNAME\Computer$, also "everyone" group includes everyone. You might
want to check share permission as well, plus enable log on auduting and
object access auditing to check which account is used.

"Mike Clay (MS)" <mclay@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hey Karl,
>
> I'm assuming you are using IIS Anonymous and\or Integrated authentication.
> In this scenario the account that is trying to create the folder to the
UNC
> path is not associated with the "Everyone" group. I'm not really sure
what
> the exact account its using, but you can practically give "Everyone" Full
> Control and still see the same behavior. You may want to consider Basic
> authentication or enabling impersonation in your web.config.
>
> Mike Clay, MCSD
> Beta Technical Support

rights.
> © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Karl J. Treier

My understand is that Everyone Group is Everyone too, but i'll try the
Security Auditing and see what I get, thanks.

(Mike Clay (MSFT))

Don't want to get off on a tangent, but all groups are NOT hard coded into
the "Everyone" group depending on the OS (which has not yet been mentioned).
Here's a quick reference:

WINDOWS NT 4:
Everyone means everyone--anonymous users and guests.

WINDOWS 2000:
Everyone still means everyone--anonymous users and guests. Authenticated
Users include all users who have a username and password. It does not
include anonymous users and guests.

WINDOWS XP:
Everyone does not include anonymous users but it does include guests.
Authenticated Users include users who have a username and password.