Rob Harrop

10/23/2002 7:14:00 PM

I have created a custom data class that implemets
ISerializable to serialize 5 internal member variables

When I serialize an array of these ( with around 24,000 )
items it takes around 54 seconds and produces a file
arounf 1`.7 MB

When I serialize the same data as a DataSet the file is
about 4.3 MB but it takes 6 seconds.

What am I doing wrong?
1 Answer

Christoph Schittko

You're not doing anything wrong.

The DataSet bypasses the standard (SLOW, reflection-based) serialization
mechanism by implementing ISerializable and then simply calling WriteXml to
an stream. This approach is much faster than analyzing the class strcuture
and then accessing each field via reflection.

HTH,
--
Christoph Schittko
Software Architect