Randy Tuttle

12/26/2002 2:58:00 PM

I've spent quite a while to do what I thought was suppose to be a simple
task but I guess it is something I have to learn about. Here is what I am
trying to accomplish.
On my web form there is a field called "Status". That field is only used to
let the user know the web form is busy doing something. In this case I am
facing, the user sends a request to get weather or a flight plan from a
server I set up by clicking on a button. The web form then sends the request
to the server and returns the results. That might take 10 seconds or so....
What I would like to do is, while the web form is busy getting the results,
I would like to enter in the Status field that it is busy, please wait....
The trouble is, nothing appears in the status box until the request is
processed. I need to let the user know while the web form is processing and
then let the user know when it is finished doing what ever it is doing.
I think I understand that the web form has to re-write its self. I'm not
sure how to force the web form to update its self like forcing a manual
postback or something. I don't really care how this is done as long as I can
some how let the user know the web form is busy doing something so he/she
won't just sit there pressing the "Get Request" button a zillion times while
the web form is already processing the first request.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

1 Answer

unknown

by default web requests don't get sent to the client untill the process has
finished. This is more efficent as it cuts down on the amount of chatter
between the client and server. To send the data written to the Response
object before the process has finished simply call the Flush method of the
response object

Response.Flush();

this will write all the data in the buffer to the client.

McGiv