(Steve Colonna)

12/26/2002 3:36:00 AM

Hi all,
We are just starting out with web services and .NET and have got the
simple operations that return a string working but we are having
problems trying to consume complex data.
I am trying to access a web service that is running on top of a Lotus
Notes database that is returning a list of project information.

The SOAP Response from the Notes web service looks like this:-

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?>
<soapenv:Envelope xmlns:soapenv="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envel...
xmlns:soapenc="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encod...
xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-inst...
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema...
<soapenv:Body>
<GetProjectNamesRequestResponse xmlns="uri:FDWS-Web-Services">
<ProjectNameType>
<ProjectName>BETSY</ProjectName>
<ProjectName>Biometrics Evaluation</ProjectName>
</ProjectNameType>
</GetProjectNamesRequestResponse>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

I have generated a proxy class in VB from the WSDL of the service and
in my ASP.NET web application I am accessing the web service using the
statement

Dim proxy = New DominoProjectsService.FaCSDominoWebServices()
Dim projArray As String()
projArray = proxy.GetProjectNames("all")

The app doesnt fall over but after calling the web service projArray
is "Nothing".

In this case I am using a string array, what if the Notes web service
was returning more complex data for example Project Name, ID and start
date. Would I have to consume the web service as a string and then
use the XML classes of .NET to parse through the information?

Any help or direction to an example would be appreciated.
TIA
Steve