How to Timeout a web service request

(DT)

12/26/2002 3:32:00 AM

Is there any way to force a web service request
to timeout on the server side?

Basically, I'd like the consumer of this web service
to catch this as an exception and display an appropriate
message after (x seconds). I don't want the user to wait.
It's a java client consuming a .Net web service.

Thanks
1 Answer

Yasser Shohoud [MS]

You can set the executionTimeout using the <httpRuntime> element in
machine.config or web.config:
<httpRuntime useFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl="true|false"
maxRequestLength="size in kbytes"
executionTimeout="seconds"
minFreeThreads="number of threads"
minFreeLocalRequestFreeThreads="number of threads"
appRequestQueueLimit="number of requests" />
But it sounds like the client should timeout not the service.

purposes only.