new user to MSDE and .NET?

jay widman

12/15/2002 3:49:00 PM

Can I use MSDE with .NET? We are using
Jet 4.00 at the momment. What provider
should we use? Can we using ODBC with
MSDE? Obviously, we are new to this.
thanks in advance
jay widman
1 Answer

Bob Beauchemin

Yes, you can. MSDE is a variant of SQL Server. You can use ODBC or OLE DB
with the appropriate .NET data providers, but the best choice with SQL
Server is to use the SqlClient data provider.

If/when you do the conversion, bear in mind that service-based databases,
even if they run in proc, have different semantics than file-based (XBase)
databases, especially with respect to currency positions and "cursors".

Hope this helps,
Bob Beauchemin
http://staff.develo...