ODBC .NET Data Provider does not work with other languages?

(Ken Teong)

12/25/2002 8:53:00 PM

Hi all,

I'm working on an ASP.NET application that required to display foreign
language from backend retail system via ODBC connection. I'm using
ODBC .NET Data Provider to retrieve the data from the backend system.
I've found out that some fields that contain foreign language is
corrupted when displayed in my ASPX front-end (datagrid or textbox).

I've tried to query from this backend system using VB6 window
application via the following connectionstring and both give me
correct display,

i. Driver={BBJ ODBC Driver};Server=126.10.4.59;Database=ldev;uid=tharpfp;pwd=;
ii. Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;User
ID=tharpfp;Data Source=eIM

Since ODBC .NET Data Provider does not support MSDASQL, the only
choice I have is the first connectionstring but it does not work. Have
anyone come across the same problem, any idea or advice?

I've also tried to connect to this backend data source from VS.NET IDE
(via Server Explorer) and it works perfectly. I can see the correct
foreign language data. And when I checked the connection used, it is,

Provider=MSDASQL.1;Persist Security Info=False;Extended
Properties="SERVER=126.10.4.59;PORT=2001;RETRIES=5;PREFETCH=20;USER=tharpfp;DATABASE=ldev;DRIVER={BBJ
ODBC Driver}"

I wonder how's the VS.NET IDE connect to the backend data source, is
it .NET component?

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
Ken Teong