Database Connections - Toolbox or Code?

Greg Hicks

11/13/2002 10:13:00 PM

I am just teaching myself how to program using Visual Studio .NET (currently
working with VB.Net) and am getting differing options from the books. I
would like to know the pros and cons of interacting with a database either
thru code or by using the Toolbox and then setting the properties of those
items to link to the information you want from the database?
TIA
Greg Hicks
VB Newbie

2 Answers

Mary Chipman

All the UI does in VS.NET is generate code, which you can change later
if you want to modify the connection string or any attributes thereof.

-- Mary
MCW Technologies
http://www.m...

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:13:17 -0800, "Greg Hicks" <greg.news@ajlb2.com>
wrote:

>I am just teaching myself how to program using Visual Studio .NET (currently
>working with VB.Net) and am getting differing options from the books. I
>would like to know the pros and cons of interacting with a database either
>thru code or by using the Toolbox and then setting the properties of those
>items to link to the information you want from the database?
>TIA
>Greg Hicks
>VB Newbie

(Hussein Abuthuraya(MSFT))

I guess you are talking about Visual Data Tools that creates a connection, DataAdapter and Datasets visually verse crerating these objects at run time in code. When using
the visual data tools, your created dataset is a typed dataset where all the objects (such as tables) will be shown as properties. This makes the code more straightforward
and easier to maintain. The other way around creates untyped datasets where you access all the objects through collections.

Example:

Typed dataset : myDataSet.Authors....

Untyped dataset : myDataSet.Tables("Authors")....

Here is an article that talks about Visual data tools:

INFO: Roadmap for Visual Database Tools and Typed DataSets
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en...

I hope this helsp!

Thanks,
Hussein Abuthuraya
Microsoft Developer Support

Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft Strategic Technology Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool Kit, please visit
http://www.microsoft.co....