URGENT ::: INFORMIX && ASP.NET

unknown

10/25/2002 9:39:00 PM

Has anyone gotten ODBC.net to work w/ informix on the asp.net platform???
My back is against the wall here, any help would be greatly appreciated. My
main problem has to do w/ accessing an Informix database across the network.
I can do impersonation, but the aspnet_wp does not persist the login
information I pass to it, so the connection to the Informix database fails
(when executing the thread) --- but, if anyone out there has gotten it to
work in any way, PLEASE let me know, I need "hope". :)

--Abe

5 Answers

samuel

Hi Abel,

We are using .NET to access Informix!
We tried OLEDB.NET and when the IIS server doesn't crash,
the performance is a MUST. The problem is just perceived
under heavy load, where multiple users execute operations
agains the database.
The programming model we used was to:
1. open the connection
2. execute the SQL Statement (insert,update,delete,select
or even a TRANSACTION)
3. close the connection.
All the code uses try/catch/finally structure for every
single step (1 to 3 above), but it seems that the ODBC
layer on IIS doesn't manage its resources properly - so
after some open/close connection operations it seems it
gets tired and the next OPEN CONNECTION fails.

Then we used ODBC.NET to access the same Informix
database. The code migration from OLEDB to ODBC.NET was
very simple (just a matter of changing objetc types and a
few parameter types), but the ODBC.NET is not handling
TRANSACTIONS properly!

As a suggestion:
- goto IBM/INFORMIX web site and download the Client SDK
2.8. Before installing this version, remove any previous
version you have on your server or development machine
- goto Microsoft.com and download the MDAC 2.7
- goto Microsoft.com and download: "Pooling Connection
Toolkit". You will have to convert the sample source code
to use them in .NET
- Goto Microsoft.COm and download: "Microsoft Application
Blocks for .NET". You will have to convert the wrapper
library to OLEDB.NET as it is written with SQLClient
layer.

Samuel

unknown

Did you notice though, that the connection problems do not persist when
writing a console app OR a winform app?

--Abe

"Samuel" <msdn.sam@nilesaudio.com> wrote in message
> Hi Abel,
>
> We are using .NET to access Informix!
> We tried OLEDB.NET and when the IIS server doesn't crash,
> the performance is a MUST. The problem is just perceived
> under heavy load, where multiple users execute operations
> agains the database.
> The programming model we used was to:
> 1. open the connection
> 2. execute the SQL Statement (insert,update,delete,select
> or even a TRANSACTION)
> 3. close the connection.
> All the code uses try/catch/finally structure for every
> single step (1 to 3 above), but it seems that the ODBC
> layer on IIS doesn't manage its resources properly - so
> after some open/close connection operations it seems it
> gets tired and the next OPEN CONNECTION fails.
>
> Then we used ODBC.NET to access the same Informix
> database. The code migration from OLEDB to ODBC.NET was
> very simple (just a matter of changing objetc types and a
> few parameter types), but the ODBC.NET is not handling
> TRANSACTIONS properly!
>
> As a suggestion:
> - goto IBM/INFORMIX web site and download the Client SDK
> 2.8. Before installing this version, remove any previous
> version you have on your server or development machine
> - goto Microsoft.com and download the MDAC 2.7
> - goto Microsoft.com and download: "Pooling Connection
> Toolkit". You will have to convert the sample source code
> to use them in .NET
> - Goto Microsoft.COm and download: "Microsoft Application
> Blocks for .NET". You will have to convert the wrapper
> library to OLEDB.NET as it is written with SQLClient
> layer.
>
> Samuel

samuel

Hi Abel,

Yes, I noticed when running a VB.NET application the
application handles with success several simultaneous
connections (We could monitor them using "onstat -g ses -
r" on the unix side).
Besides this test I mentioned to you, I made the
following:
1. executed the ASP.NET application to load the server
with several connections, up to the point that it crashes.
2. launched the VB counterpart. Open successfully several
connections...
Can you believe this?
It seems the problem just occurs on ASP.NET

I've got the same question....so if you are able to
connect, please share the knowledge with me.

Shawn Hogan <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m

I'm a rookie at connecting to informix but here is my connection string:

Driver={INFORMIX 3.34 32
BIT};UID=myuser;PWD=pass;DB=mydatabase;HOST=123.123.123.123;SERV=sqlexec;SRV
R=mymachinename;PRO=onsoctcp"

I found that using version 3.34 of the odbc driver worked best.

Here's an informix news group search site. I thought it was quite useful.

http://www.iiug.org/sear...

Shawn