DSN via ODBC.NET works on WIN2K Servers but NOT WinXP Pro

James Tinney

10/23/2002 12:20:00 AM

On Windows 2000 Server with .NET Framework, I can access
a certain backend RDBMS appliction (called Timberline,
built on Pervasive's SQL engine). I set up a DSN and use
the downloaded ODBC.NET provider and it works great.

ODBC.NET access of the same backend app on Windows XP
Professional does not work. The app has both a client
and server component. Although both run very well on
Windows XP Pro, accessing data through a DSN and ODBC.NET
configured identically to the Windows 2000 Server does
not work on either.

Any idea what is going on?

The errant results:

Server Error in '/' Application.
----------------------

ERROR [S1000] [Timberline][ODBC Driver][DLL]Drive or
directory unavailable [IO-WIN 3] Screen\OD.scr ERROR
[IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC
Driver Manager] The driver doesn't support the version of
ODBC behavior that the application requested (see
SQLSetEnvAttr).
execution of the current web request. Please review the
stack trace for more information about the error and
where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcException:
ERROR [S1000] [Timberline][ODBC Driver][DLL]Drive or
directory unavailable [IO-WIN 3] Screen\OD.scr ERROR
[IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC
Driver Manager] The driver doesn't support the version of
ODBC behavior that the application requested (see
SQLSetEnvAttr).

Source Error:

Line 31:
Line 32: cmd = new OdbcCommand
(cnStr,cn);
Line 33: cn.Open();
Line 34: dg1.DataSource =
cmd.ExecuteReader();
Line 35: dg1.DataBind();

Source File: c:\portalcsvs\portalcsvs\pmlist.aspx.cs
Line: 33

Stack Trace:

[OdbcException: ERROR [S1000] [Timberline][ODBC Driver]
[DLL]Drive or directory unavailable [IO-WIN 3]
Screen\OD.scr
ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's
SQLSetConnectAttr failed
ERROR [01000] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The driver
doesn't support the version of ODBC behavior that the
application requested (see SQLSetEnvAttr).]
Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.Open() +646
ASPNetPortal.odbc1.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs
e) in c:\portalcsvs\portalcsvs\pmlist.aspx.cs:33

----------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.0.3705.288; ASP.NET Version:1.0.3705.288

2 Answers

(Peter Wu [MS])

> On Windows 2000 Server with .NET Framework, I can access
> a certain backend RDBMS appliction (called Timberline,
> built on Pervasive's SQL engine). I set up a DSN and use
> the downloaded ODBC.NET provider and it works great.
>
> ODBC.NET access of the same backend app on Windows XP
> Professional does not work. The app has both a client
> and server component. Although both run very well on
> Windows XP Pro, accessing data through a DSN and ODBC.NET
> configured identically to the Windows 2000 Server does
> not work on either.
>
> Any idea what is going on?

Have you upgraded MDAC to the latest 2.7 version? Or, have you
installed the required ODBC driver for the Pervasive's SQL engine on
that win2k computer?

I would guess that the ODBC driver on the Windows 2000 machine is not
up to date.

--
Peter Wu
Microsoft Corporation

rights.

James Tinney

MDAC 2.7 is installed and verified on all computers as is the latest,
required and current ODBC drivers. The Pervasive application, MDAC and ODBC
are identically configured on the Windows 2000 Server and Windows XP
Professional.

ODBC.NET access of the Pervasive applicaiton on Windows 2000 Server works
fine with no problems. ODBC.NET access of the application does not work on
Windows XP Professional.