INFORMIX data retrieval bug?

Shawn Hogan <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m

10/17/2002 2:14:00 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. I'm using odbc.net to
connect to informix. I seem to be losing data when i try to get the data
inside of a char field. It seems that if my CHAR field is defined to size
10, I only get 5 characters back. If i define it as size 20 then i get 10
characters back. ODBC.net seems to think that the data is only half as long
as it is. Has anyone seen/fixed this before?

Thanks,
Shawn

5 Answers

Mats Åhman \(IT-HUSET\)

I just found out the same problem with the 3.80=Unicode driver from
Informix.
So I changed to the 3.34 driver and guess what? I worked great!

// må

"Shawn Hogan @whitehilltech.com>" <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m> skrev i meddelandet
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. I'm using odbc.net to
> connect to informix. I seem to be losing data when i try to get the data
> inside of a char field. It seems that if my CHAR field is defined to size
> 10, I only get 5 characters back. If i define it as size 20 then i get 10
> characters back. ODBC.net seems to think that the data is only half as
long
> as it is. Has anyone seen/fixed this before?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Samuel

I'm developing a project with .NET to access INFORMIX
(7.31). When I started the project I was using OLEDB.NET,
the performance is GREAT, but when using the system in
production mode - the IIS server loses the connection to
Informix several times a day. The only way to fix this
problem was reseting the IIS...
My next approach was to move to ODBC.NET and I don't have
this problem that you mention (about loosing content from
a CHAR field), but I do have problems in trying to
execute a TRANSACTION.

The Informix driver I'm using is 3.81. You can get this
new driver from IBM/Informix downloading the Client DSK
2.8. But before installing this version, remove all DSNs
that you have with your current driver, then install the
new C-SDK and recreate the DSNs.

Do you have any code using TRANSACTIONS ?

Samuel

Shawn Hogan <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m

That sounds promissing. Thanks for the input!

"Mats Åhman (IT-HUSET)" <mats.ithuset@home.se> wrote in message
> I just found out the same problem with the 3.80=Unicode driver from
> Informix.
> So I changed to the 3.34 driver and guess what? I worked great!
>
> // må
>

> "Shawn Hogan @whitehilltech.com>" <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m> skrev i meddelandet
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue before. I'm using odbc.net
> > connect to informix. I seem to be losing data when i try to get the data
> > inside of a char field. It seems that if my CHAR field is defined to
size
> > 10, I only get 5 characters back. If i define it as size 20 then i get
10
> > characters back. ODBC.net seems to think that the data is only half as
> long
> > as it is. Has anyone seen/fixed this before?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Shawn

Shawn Hogan <shogan<N_0-S_p_a-m

I am using transactions and i don't seem to be having any problems. All
transactions seem to go through just fine. Do you only see your issue under
higher volumes of transactions or all the time. I am using 3.80.

Interestingly i've never been able to connect to informix using oledb. I am
using informix 5.1 and i will soon be upgrading to 7. Hopefully that will
clear up my problem. Did you have any major problems when you were setting
up to connect to oledb?

I guess it's possible that there is a driver issue with transactions. I'll
have to keep that in mind when testing.

Shawn

"Samuel" <sqlman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm developing a project with .NET to access INFORMIX
> (7.31). When I started the project I was using OLEDB.NET,
> the performance is GREAT, but when using the system in
> production mode - the IIS server loses the connection to
> Informix several times a day. The only way to fix this
> problem was reseting the IIS...
> My next approach was to move to ODBC.NET and I don't have
> this problem that you mention (about loosing content from
> a CHAR field), but I do have problems in trying to
> execute a TRANSACTION.
>
> The Informix driver I'm using is 3.81. You can get this
> new driver from IBM/Informix downloading the Client DSK
> 2.8. But before installing this version, remove all DSNs
> that you have with your current driver, then install the
> new C-SDK and recreate the DSNs.
>
> Do you have any code using TRANSACTIONS ?
>
> Samuel

samuel

Shawn,

Regarding the ODBC transactions what I noticed is:
scene A
---------
when the TRANSACTION performs 2 different operations (1
insert, 1 update) the ODBC.NET executes the transaction
and commits the data

scene B
---------
when within the TRANSACTION there are 2 or more equal
operations (2+ updates), the ODBC.NET HANGS exactly where
the 2nd cmd_req.ExecuteNonQuery() statement is. The data
is not commited, and you don't have any timeout event
happening.

This particular system is under construction - so I don't
have any heavy traffic at all. My current settings are:
- Informix 7.31 (running on a SCO box)
- MDAC 2.7
- Informix ODBC Driver 3.81 32 BIT (3.81.00.11267 IBM
Corporation. File: ICLIT09B.DLL release date: 6/19/2002)
- my machine is a Windows XP Professional, and the ODBC
Manager version is 3.520.7713.0

About your questions:
>Interestingly i've never been able to connect to
informix using oledb. I am using informix 5.1 and i will
soon be upgrading to 7. Hopefully that will clear up my
problem.
yes, we were able to use OLEDB since day 1, BUT as you
can see in other entries I submitted to this managed
forum, under moderate traffice, the OLEDB manager gets
lost and after a few open/close connection operations, it
is impossible to open a new connection. That's our reason
to move back and adopt ODBC.NET. Now we are having this
issue with Transactions, while (when the connection is
posssible with OLEDB) the transactions were performed
without any problem. Crazy, isn't it?

> Did you have any major problems when you were setting
up to connect to oledb?
No, it was very easy to set it up. I strongly recommend
that you remove the previuos driver and DSNs from your
machine before installing the new one.

Thank you for your reply,

Samuel