simon fuller

I have created a basic page that should write back to the
database but it doesn't. I just cant understand why! can
anyone help?

Here's the code

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>
<%@ Import namespace = "System.Data"%>
<%@ Import namespace = "Microsoft.Data.Odbc"%>
<%@ Assembly Name = "Microsoft.Data.Odbc" %>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN" >
<HTML>

<script language="C#" runat="server">

{

}

protected void Button1_Click(object sender,
System.EventArgs e)
{
string mySQLConnStr = "driver={MySQL};";
mySQLConnStr = mySQLConnStr + "server=localhost;";
mySQLConnStr = mySQLConnStr + "uid=userid;";
mySQLConnStr = mySQLConnStr + "pwd=password;";
mySQLConnStr = mySQLConnStr + "database=database;";
mySQLConnStr = mySQLConnStr + "OPTION=17923";
/* Above is option 1, 2, 512, 1024, 16384 see mySQL
manual for details. But the key is 512 Pad char
fields to full length.
*/
OdbcConnection myConnection = new OdbcConnection
(mySQLConnStr);
string SQL = "INSERT INTO Guest"+
"(Name, Email, Comments )"+
NameTextBox.Text.ToString() +"','"
+EmailTextBox.Text.ToString()
+"','"+CommentsTextBox.Text.ToString()
+"')" ;
OdbcCommand myCommand = new OdbcCommand(SQL,
myConnection);
try
{
myConnection.Open();
myCommand.ExecuteNonQuery();
}
catch (Exception exp)
{
Console.WriteLine("Error: {0}", exp.Message);
Response.Redirect("error.aspx");
}
myConnection.Close();
Response.Redirect("Thanks.aspx");

}
</script>
<HEAD>
<title>WebForm1</title>
Visual Studio 7.0">
content="JavaScript">

content="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5...
</HEAD>
<form id="Form1" method="post"
runat="server">
<asp:Label id="Label1" style="Z-
INDEX: 101; LEFT: 32px; POSITION:

absolute; TOP: 73px" runat="server" Width="46px"
Height="23px">Name</asp:Label>

<asp:Label id="Label3" style="Z-
INDEX: 103; LEFT: 31px; POSITION:

absolute; TOP: 154px" runat="server">Email</asp:Label>
<asp:Label id="Label4" style="Z-
INDEX: 104; LEFT: 26px; POSITION:

absolute; TOP: 182px" runat="server">Comments</asp:Label>
<asp:TextBox id="NameTextBox"
style="Z-INDEX: 105; LEFT: 116px;

POSITION: absolute; TOP: 70px" runat="server"
Width="219px" Height="27px"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="EmailTextBox"
style="Z-INDEX: 107; LEFT: 114px;

POSITION: absolute; TOP: 151px" runat="server"
Width="218px" Height="28px"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:TextBox id="CommentsTextBox"
style="Z-INDEX: 108; LEFT: 13px;

POSITION: absolute; TOP: 206px" runat="server"
Width="317px" Height="145px"

TextMode="MultiLine"></asp:TextBox>
<asp:Button id="Button1" style="Z-
INDEX: 109; LEFT: 13px; POSITION:

absolute; TOP: 364px" runat="server" Width="135px"
Height="28px" Text="Sign In Guest

Book"></asp:Button>
<FONT size="5"><STRONG><U>Guest
Book:</U></STRONG></FONT>
</form>
</HTML>

3 Answers

(Douglas Laudenschlager [MS])

Simon,

You haven't told us what the error message is, but it looks to me like
there are lines missing from your concatenated SQL statement:

string SQL = "INSERT INTO Guest"+
"(Name, Email, Comments )"+

" VALUES ('" +

NameTextBox.Text.ToString() +"','"
+EmailTextBox.Text.ToString()
+"','"+CommentsTextBox.Text.ToString() +

"')"

It's always a good idea to Response.Write your complete statement to see
what you're really getting!

Best wishes,

-Doug

http://www.microsoft.co....

simon fuller

Hi Douglas,

The problem is, when I click the button it does nothing.
It doesnt even produce an error message! As a
complete .net novice its confusing me!!

Regards,

Simon

confers no rights.

>Are you secure? For information about the Microsoft
Strategic Technology
>Protection Program and to order your FREE Security Tool
Kit, please visit
>http://www.microsoft.co....
>
>.

(Douglas Laudenschlager [MS])

Simon,

You need another attribute on the Button tag to link button and event:

OnClick="Button1_Click"

Good luck,

-Doug

http://www.microsoft.co....