ODBC vs ADO.NET vs ADO vs DBLib

Dotnet developer

6/14/2002 9:14:00 PM

Question:

I am looking for a performance comparison while accessing
non-Microsoft databases (such as DB2 on mainframe) which
do provide ODBC/OLE DB drivers (i.e. ODBC vs ADO vs
ODBC.NET vs ADO.NET etc.) Please help if you know of any
or have gone through the same issues?

Further details (If needed) :
The component of the application to be re-written
currently uses DBLib to go to Sybase and so may eventually
turn out to have performance constraints. Thus options of
conversions are:

A. Using Win32 and writing classes on top of ODBC
B. Introducing COM in the loop and use ADO.
C. Adding a new managed component talking with ADO.NET and
use Interop layer to talk to from the current Win32 C++
(non-COM) application.

1 Answer

Wally McClure

Each database and driver has different performance characteristics. General
programming rules for SQL Server do not necessarily hold with DB/2, Oracle
and other databases. These differences tend to be caused by the performance
chracteristics of the OleDb and ODBC drivers.

Wally