=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/14/2004 5:57:00 PM

I have a access database that I need to web enable.
Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
accomplish the task.

I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
question.

What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
what application or environment is used?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kito
9 Answers

Jon Spivey

FP will generate the ASP for you. To get started hit Insert - Database
Results and follow the prompts. Of course you may find you outgrow the FP
wizard after a while and need to write your own code. Plenty of us here can
help you with that. But see how you go with the FP wizard and feel free to
post your questions back as you have them.

Cheers,
Jon
Microsoft MVP - FP

Kito wrote:
> I have a access database that I need to web enable.
> Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
> accomplish the task.
>
> I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
> question.
>
> What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
> M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
> the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
> what application or environment is used?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kito

Kevin Spencer

Hi Kito,

ASP is scripting, so it doesn't require any special software to write. You
can use NotePad if you like. FrontPage has wizards that will write your
basic Database-connective ASP code for you. But to do anything that isn't
simple (and I mean REALLY simple), you would have to write your own ASP code
to do it. FrontPage can certainly be used to develop ASP pages, and I have
used it as such for years (never use the wizards personally). Of course, my
work now is all .Net, so I only use FrontPage to develop HTML for my apps
any more.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Kito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a access database that I need to web enable.
> Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
> accomplish the task.
>
> I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
> question.
>
> What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
> M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
> the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
> what application or environment is used?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kito

Peter Aitken

"Kito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a access database that I need to web enable.
> Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
> accomplish the task.
>
> I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
> question.
>
> What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
> M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
> the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
> what application or environment is used?
>
> Any help will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kito

FP will generate simple ASP code for you with some of its wizards. Otherwise
you write it yourself - display the page in HTML view and type in the ASP
code. You use special tags to separate the code from the HTML and other page
elements. To create an ASP from scratch, outside of FP, you would use any
text editor. There are probably some tools that can be used to help with the
task but I am not aware of them as I have always hand-coded. ASP and
VBScript are very powerful but not simple. It's not something you want to
muddle through by trial and error. I recommend getting a good book and
working through it. You'll probbaly save time in the long run.

--
Peter Aitken

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Many thanks Peter,

That makes sense and pointed me in the right direction.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Thanks Kevin,

That answered my question and cleared some things up
since this is a new environment for me.

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Thanks Jon,

Your input is certainly appreciated. That answered my
question and makes sense now.

Greg Chagnon

Hi Peter,

Sure about this statement, "...FP will generate simple ASP code ..." ? ;>)

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97-'02
http://www.websunl...

"Peter Aitken" <paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com> wrote in message news:%2367IBSlIEHA.828@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> "Kito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a access database that I need to web enable.
> > Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
> > accomplish the task.
> >
> > I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
> > question.
> >
> > What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
> > M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
> > the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
> > what application or environment is used?
> >
> > Any help will be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kito
>
> FP will generate simple ASP code for you with some of its wizards. Otherwise
> you write it yourself - display the page in HTML view and type in the ASP
> code. You use special tags to separate the code from the HTML and other page
> elements. To create an ASP from scratch, outside of FP, you would use any
> text editor. There are probably some tools that can be used to help with the
> task but I am not aware of them as I have always hand-coded. ASP and
> VBScript are very powerful but not simple. It's not something you want to
> muddle through by trial and error. I recommend getting a good book and
> working through it. You'll probbaly save time in the long run.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Kevin Spencer

LOL - I know what he meant, but your comment is a gem, Mike!

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"MD Websunlimited" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi Peter,
>
> Sure about this statement, "...FP will generate simple ASP code ..." ?
;>)

> --
> Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97-'02
> http://www.websunl...
> Wish you could calculate form field totals? Well, you can with Form
Caculator
> http://www.websunl.../order/Product/FormCalc/formcalc.htm
> FrontPage Add-ins Since '97 2003 / 2002 / 2000 Compatible
>
> "Peter Aitken" <paitken@CRAPnc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > "Kito" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a access database that I need to web enable.
> > > Looks like an ASP with VBScript will be needed to
> > > accomplish the task.
> > >
> > > I am new the the web side of things and have a basic
> > > question.
> > >
> > > What application is used to create the ASP??? Is it a
> > > M/S product. I have seen a couple of ASP generators on
> > > the web but if you wanted to create a ASP from scratch,
> > > what application or environment is used?
> > >
> > > Any help will be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Kito
> >
> > FP will generate simple ASP code for you with some of its wizards.
Otherwise
> > you write it yourself - display the page in HTML view and type in the
ASP
> > code. You use special tags to separate the code from the HTML and other
page
> > elements. To create an ASP from scratch, outside of FP, you would use
any
> > text editor. There are probably some tools that can be used to help with
the
> > task but I am not aware of them as I have always hand-coded. ASP and
> > VBScript are very powerful but not simple. It's not something you want
> > muddle through by trial and error. I recommend getting a good book and
> > working through it. You'll probbaly save time in the long run.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken
> >
> > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Tom Gahagan

Hi Kito...

You've gotten a lot of good direction and I thought I would add some
internet resources for your consideration.....

www.asp101.com
www.learnasp.com

www.4guysfromrolla.com

www.aspin.com

and if you are the adventuresome type.... do a google search on asp and you
will find lots of stuff out there.

Best of luck to you..... YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!
Tom Gahagan
ethomaston.com