microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

FrontPage web component -hover buttons

Greg D

4/12/2004 6:42:00 PM

I would appreciate any help, I am out of Ideas.
After a recient crash, on a clean harddrive, with windows
xp pro. I re-installed my programs and my Front Page 2002 -
Now using FP I cannot see any web componet buttons on any
web page that I am working on. I have tried to re-do the
buttons, thinking a thread of problem carried through on
the existing web but the resutls is the same. I have
tried creating a new one page web with new hover buttons
and the results are the same. The Show on the "normal"
page and the HTML code is there - obviously missing
something? When I preview the button frames show but the
graphic and links fail to work with the Control/click.
When I publish it produces the same effect on my web.
I will be most greatful for any help

3 Answers

Steve Easton

Hover buttons are java applets that require that Java Virtual Machine is
installed on the computer.

It used to be installed with IE. The original XP and IE 6 don't have it.
Supposedly XP SP 1 had it and installed it.

At this point in time it is not available from Microsoft. However it can be
downloaded and installed from

http://www.jav...

For this reason, most people have stopped using Hover buttons.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"Greg D" <deans2@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I would appreciate any help, I am out of Ideas.
> After a recient crash, on a clean harddrive, with windows
> xp pro. I re-installed my programs and my Front Page 2002 -
> Now using FP I cannot see any web componet buttons on any
> web page that I am working on. I have tried to re-do the
> buttons, thinking a thread of problem carried through on
> the existing web but the resutls is the same. I have
> tried creating a new one page web with new hover buttons
> and the results are the same. The Show on the "normal"
> page and the HTML code is there - obviously missing
> something? When I preview the button frames show but the
> graphic and links fail to work with the Control/click.
> When I publish it produces the same effect on my web.
> I will be most greatful for any help

Peter Aitken

"Greg D" <deans2@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I would appreciate any help, I am out of Ideas.
> After a recient crash, on a clean harddrive, with windows
> xp pro. I re-installed my programs and my Front Page 2002 -
> Now using FP I cannot see any web componet buttons on any
> web page that I am working on. I have tried to re-do the
> buttons, thinking a thread of problem carried through on
> the existing web but the resutls is the same. I have
> tried creating a new one page web with new hover buttons
> and the results are the same. The Show on the "normal"
> page and the HTML code is there - obviously missing
> something? When I preview the button frames show but the
> graphic and links fail to work with the Control/click.
> When I publish it produces the same effect on my web.
> I will be most greatful for any help

FP hover buttons are a Java applet that requires the Java VM to be installed
on the system. A small number of Windows installations lack it - I am not
sure which. Because of this most FP programmers have abandoned the hover
buttons in favor of using JavaScript and the onmouseover and onmouseout
events to get the same effect. Do a Google for "rollover javascript" and
you'll get lots of how-to pages.

--
Peter Aitken

Tom Pepper

"A small number of Windows installations lack it - I am not
sure which."

Actually, should read "A large number"...
--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett