microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Validating email address in forms

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/12/2004 4:52:00 PM

Is there a way to do this other than to just set the form
field as required and give it a min and max for data entry?
4 Answers

Eoin Miller

Yes and no. While you can make sure that the email address posted has a
number of characters followed by an "@" sign, more characters, a period, and
2 or 3 more non-numeric characters, it doesn't prevent the user from typing
in a bad email address. The only sure way to be certain of that is to send
them an email and hope for a reply.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"JB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to do this other than to just set the form
> field as required and give it a min and max for data entry?

Greg Chagnon

Hi JB,

Take a look at J-Bots Form components and more specifically the Validate Email component.
http://www.websunl.../order/Product/Form/Form_he...

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunl...

"JB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1b65a01c420ae$79e4c290$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Is there a way to do this other than to just set the form
> field as required and give it a min and max for data entry?

erwien

JB,

As Kevin pointed out, users will sometimes enter a defunct
email pattern.

Assuming they have a desire to give you their correct
email, you might try a double entry script to insure they
match.

http://frontpag.bizland.com/double...

Although I have yet to use J-Bots, they are widely used
and some users recommend them highly. MD Webs has a number
of economical applications worth looking at.

Mike Smith,
http://FrontPag.B...
Form Tutorials & Form Script Examples

Jim Buyens