microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

ftp corrupt FP extensions?

Smurk

4/10/2004 6:44:00 PM

Hello
I have a site hosted on a provider and they support FrontPage.
So since a while I experience situations among which I cannot create a new
page directly on the site using FrontPage. I get an error saying 'that site
does not support navigation bare'
I did ask help from their support and here after is their answer. They say
that ftp is/maybe the cause for the corruption of FP extensions???
Is this a know issue or could it be a matter of setup and installation at
the level of my hosting service?
Resetting the extensions has for effect that I lose the navigation of the
site and I have to rebuild the whole thing, I already have had to do that
twice this year and I am not really interested in keeping doing that. In
addition I did not use ftp as I have FP for the publishing. So???
Thanks for any help on this.
Yves Bodson
I can be reached at yves@ybdigitals.com

--
Dear Yves bodson

Thank you for contacting customer service. Reinstalling the FP extensions is
currently the only way to get everything with FP working correctly. Once the
FP extensions are reinstalled, you may need to publish the website again, to
fix the navigation bar. As of right now, FP extensions are not currently
installed. Either they were or were not installed at one point or they broke
due to FTP usage, we are unable to tell. Try reinstalling them, if you
continue to have issues, please let me know. Also note, that while FTP MAY
break them, they don't always. Please let us know if we can help you in any
other way.

Steve Easton

They are correct, using ftp to publish to a server with extensions installed
will break the extensions.

You must publish using http:// when publishing to an extended server

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> Hello
> I have a site hosted on a provider and they support FrontPage.
> So since a while I experience situations among which I cannot create a new
> page directly on the site using FrontPage. I get an error saying 'that
site
> does not support navigation bare'
> I did ask help from their support and here after is their answer. They
say
> that ftp is/maybe the cause for the corruption of FP extensions???
> Is this a know issue or could it be a matter of setup and installation at
> the level of my hosting service?
> Resetting the extensions has for effect that I lose the navigation of the
> site and I have to rebuild the whole thing, I already have had to do
that
> twice this year and I am not really interested in keeping doing that. In
> addition I did not use ftp as I have FP for the publishing. So???
> Thanks for any help on this.
> Yves Bodson
> I can be reached at yves@ybdigitals.com
>
> --
> Dear Yves bodson
>
> Thank you for contacting customer service. Reinstalling the FP extensions
is
> currently the only way to get everything with FP working correctly. Once
the
> FP extensions are reinstalled, you may need to publish the website again,
> fix the navigation bar. As of right now, FP extensions are not currently
> installed. Either they were or were not installed at one point or they
broke
> due to FTP usage, we are unable to tell. Try reinstalling them, if you
> continue to have issues, please let me know. Also note, that while FTP MAY
> break them, they don't always. Please let us know if we can help you in
any
> other way.

Smurk

Hi
Thanks for the confirmation.
May I ask 'why?' is that ftp interact with http protocole? and what level?
I ask this because I hate doing something I don't understand at least the
fundamentals... and at this point that does not make sense to me..
I don't need an extended expose, just a good down to hearth description of
what is wrong at that level?
Thanks
Yves
PS lots of people I talked to did not know about that problem.

"Steve Easton" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote in message
> They are correct, using ftp to publish to a server with extensions
installed
> will break the extensions.
>
> You must publish using http:// when publishing to an extended server
>
> --
> Steve Easton
> Microsoft MVP FrontPage
> 95isalive
> This site is best viewed............
> .......................with a computer
>
> "Smurk" <smurk@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Hello
> > I have a site hosted on a provider and they support FrontPage.
> > So since a while I experience situations among which I cannot create a
new
> > page directly on the site using FrontPage. I get an error saying 'that
> site
> > does not support navigation bare'
> > I did ask help from their support and here after is their answer. They
> say
> > that ftp is/maybe the cause for the corruption of FP extensions???
> > Is this a know issue or could it be a matter of setup and installation
at
> > the level of my hosting service?
> > Resetting the extensions has for effect that I lose the navigation of
the
> > site and I have to rebuild the whole thing, I already have had to do
> that
> > twice this year and I am not really interested in keeping doing that. In
> > addition I did not use ftp as I have FP for the publishing. So???
> > Thanks for any help on this.
> > Yves Bodson
> > I can be reached at yves@ybdigitals.com
> >
> > --
> > Dear Yves bodson
> >
> > Thank you for contacting customer service. Reinstalling the FP
extensions
> is
> > currently the only way to get everything with FP working correctly. Once
> the
> > FP extensions are reinstalled, you may need to publish the website
again,
> > fix the navigation bar. As of right now, FP extensions are not currently
> > installed. Either they were or were not installed at one point or they
> broke
> > due to FTP usage, we are unable to tell. Try reinstalling them, if you
> > continue to have issues, please let me know. Also note, that while FTP
MAY
> > break them, they don't always. Please let us know if we can help you in
> any
> > other way.

Stefan B. Rusynko

The SE rely on the META data in the hidden FP _vt* files to be updated during publishing
- FTP doesn't do that, so the SE get confused by conflicting data in the META files vs. the htm pages

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/news...