microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

how do i stop people seeing the status bar. i have used the onmouse routine, but still it shows up sometimes

jc calling

4/9/2004 8:59:00 AM

how do I stop people seeing the status bar. I have used the <body
onmouse.... routine, but still it shows up sometimes.

I would be grateful for any help to solve this.

5 Answers

Greg Chagnon

Hi JC,

Which onmouse event handler are you using?
--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunl...

"jc calling" <thank you for you valued help> wrote in message news:e%237LXDhHEHA.3848@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> how do I stop people seeing the status bar. I have used the <body
> onmouse.... routine, but still it shows up sometimes.
>
> I would be grateful for any help to solve this.

jc calling

this is what i am using, it works but it does show up when the page take
more than a few seconds to load.

how can i stop it from show, i have seem other sites that stop this showing,
but can not get to the source as it also if protected!

thanks

"MD Websunlimited" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Hi JC,
>
> Which onmouse event handler are you using?
> --
> Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
> http://www.websunl...
>

> "jc calling" <thank you for you valued help> wrote in message
> > how do I stop people seeing the status bar. I have used the <body
> > onmouse.... routine, but still it shows up sometimes.
> >
> > I would be grateful for any help to solve this.

Steve Easton

You have to add the mouseover events to each hyperlink, and remove them from
the body tag.
href=http://www.w... onmouseover="window.status=' ';return true;"
onmouseout="window.status=' ';return true;">

However, I am one of those people who tend to close / leave a site when I
can't see where the link I'm clicking is going.

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"jc calling" <thank you for you valued help> wrote in message
> how do I stop people seeing the status bar. I have used the <body
> onmouse.... routine, but still it shows up sometimes.
>
> I would be grateful for any help to solve this.

Eoin Miller

In addition, this only hides it from the status bar. It doesn't hide it from
the HTML source code, which can't be hidden.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Steve Easton" <admin@95isalive.com> wrote in message
> You have to add the mouseover events to each hyperlink, and remove them
from
> the body tag.
> href=http://www.w... onmouseover="window.status=' ';return true;"
> onmouseout="window.status=' ';return true;">
>

> However, I am one of those people who tend to close / leave a site when I
> can't see where the link I'm clicking is going.
>
> --
> Steve Easton
> Microsoft MVP FrontPage
> 95isalive
> This site is best viewed............
> .......................with a computer
>
> "jc calling" <thank you for you valued help> wrote in message
> > how do I stop people seeing the status bar. I have used the <body
> > onmouse.... routine, but still it shows up sometimes.
> >
> > I would be grateful for any help to solve this.

Jim Cheshire

You can also just right-click on the hyperlink and see where it goes.

Links to files on the Internet are really not considered secured assets.
I'm not exactly sure why people would want to do this unless they are
offering some kind of paid file for download and don't want people to hit it
directly. If that's the case, hiding the hyperlink is not the solution.
Storing the files outside of the Web server content and having some
server-side process that will serve the file only after conditions are met
is the solution.

--
Jim Cheshire
Jimco