D. Hayes

4/8/2004 10:31:00 PM

I just converted to 2003 from 2002. All the sudden my
link bars don't work correctly. I have three "home" pages
in the navigation. (One is obviously the true home page
ie index.htm) but in the navigation they aren't link.
When I put my link bars on homepage (B) it will go to the
child pages but on the child pages (Home) takes you to
home page A (index.htm) Now when I look at the properties
it basically said it was going to do that. In 2002 it
worked properly. Up one level is the home page. In 2003
it actually goes up only one level but to the wrong home
page of three. On lower levels it does work as it is
suppose to, with Parent pages etc etc. Now in frontpage
on my local machine it actually works properly. When I
upload then it doesn't work properly. I thought about
making home page (b) the main home page instead of
index.htm but I don't want it to mess with the entire
site. If right click HomePage (b) and then "Set as Home
Page" does it then become index.htm or since I actually
have three seperate pages as home pages in one web will
that really mess with my navigation. Any suggestions? Or
could it be my host? Thanks
If you could email me I would appreciate it.
1 Answer

Jim Buyens

For purposes of Navigation view, a FrontPage Web site can
have one and only one Home page.

In some logical sense, you may *think* that the site has
three home pages, but to Navigation view there's only one.
I suspect that the other two are actually Top pages (i.e.
disconnected peers of the true home page.)

For those pages under a Top page, selecting Home Page
(under Additional Pages) will send you to (ta-da) the
site's true home page, and not the Top page.

Unfortunately, there's no Top Page option under Additional
Pages. The closest you can get is Parent Page, which I
realize doesn't work the same for pages two or more levels
deep, but such is life.

If you want three true Home pages, you should create a
separate subweb for each one.

Then again, perhaps now is the time to decide you've
outgrown Navigation view, and to start creating your own
hyperlinks. If you really like the Link Bar buttons, you
an probably find something similar in the new Interactive
Button feature.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...