microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

re: User authorization in a forum application (ASP

Jim Buyens

4/8/2004 7:28:00 PM

Howdy.

>Here is a forum I set up based on a free application:
>http://www.cn-knitwear.com/ocean/forum/f...
>User name: guest
>Password: guest
>
>Admin user name: admin
>password: admin
>
>I'd like to make a few improvements:
>1) Allow users to get into the forum without having to
> log in first, but disable the "new topic" and
> "compose reply" function.
>2) Set different access levels for forums. For the first
> two forums, only users with access level 2 and above
> can access. Users with access level1 can only read but
> not post "new topic" or "compose reply". Anomymous
> users are allowed to read.
> For the third forum, users with access level 1 can
> post new topic or reply.
>
>Currently there are four access levels in the
>application:
>accesslevel = null or 0 -- anonymous users that are not
> logged in
>
>accesslevel = 1 -- (member) these users can access all
> application (user) pages and modify some
> data
>
>accesslevel = 2 -- (editor) these users can access most
> of the 'admin_' pages
>
>accesslevel = 3 -- (admin) these users can access all of
> the 'admin_' pages including user and
> category management
>
>Please advise how I can achieve these. Thanks.

Without knowing the specifics of the application, I can
only offer general advice. However, the steps will be:

1. Examine the ASP code to figure out where the
application stores each user's privilege level.
2. Figure out how each page gets this information. For
example, the logon page may store the privilege
level in a Session variable that each page uses, or
each page may do a database lookup.
3. Add code that tests the current visitor's privilege
level, then redirects the visitor to an error or
request-more-privilege page if the test fails.

If you need more specific advice, check the supplier's Web
site or search Google Groups for the product name.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.inter...
Author of: