Gene Oleson

4/5/2004 1:58:00 AM

Been using FP (now FP 03) for about five years and have developed a large
site that is graphics rich, over 300 pages and 7000 images. Some of the
pages are Cold Fusion (guestbook) but 95 percent is FP and all the graphics
are FP loaded.

In the last two months the hot linking, bandwidth stealing, trolls have
started sucking up my bw. One day the site hit nearly a gig of transfer.
Visitors to the site went from 100k/mo to 200k/mo in last two months. Hits
are over 2 million/mo.

I'm on a windows server and on a limited budget. I chased down a few of the
really bad leaks (forum posts) and contacted webmasters with good results,
but as soon as one bw bandit is squashed another one pops up. I've sub'ed
some trash images for the ones they are stealing but that doesn't stop the
bw drain or detour the robbers. To stop another lesser bw leak I added no
robots java scripts to pages. (There are as many as twenty bots crawling
the site at a time.) Nothing seems to slow down the bw drain. As a final
resort on the first of the month I pulled all the images off the site which
I hated to do but that beats $10/day in over bw charges.

By what I read the usual suggested fixes of PHP and htacess type scripts are
of no use on a windows server. Anyone have a suggested options other than
buy more bw, or go to a unix box/trash FP??

Positive suggestions welcome.

Gene

1 Answer

Greg Chagnon