microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

NEVER use Frontpage! (???

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

4/3/2004 11:17:00 PM

Never use Frontpage! - that is the response and I gotta
admit it made me laugh...

How many people own FP these days? Maybe millions by now.
This seems a somewhat overly critical response in the face
of such odds. :)

Still, we all know the pro's use DW, but many of us don't
need that level of sophistication OR Price! Especially
once you add the add-ins..

But, do to a lack of certain basic support for minimal
items like menu's, graphics etc. I do need to "talk" to
the Javescript pro's. Most of them dont hang out here but
at other forums. A good one, I'm enjoying also left me the
above message, but that is rare. Most of these guys are
really helpful.

Check it out at "Javascript" or
http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...
s=7a8d0b8a5b95bfb1bd595957a5207c1e&threadid=31800 (cut and
paste to your browser then see for yourself)

Good Luck guys...
4 Answers

Steve Easton

Food for thought. Some pro's use DW, some use FP, some use CF.

Now here's the part to think about, if I had paid twice as much as needed
for a web authoring program I would defend it too, or 5 times as much for
CF, you betcha I'd defend it against all others. I would have to, to save
face.

If you're concerned about menus and menu graphics, then you obviously
haven't used FP 2003.

As for javascript, that's something that for the most part you just have to
learn on your own.
--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage

"Brand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Never use Frontpage! - that is the response and I gotta
> admit it made me laugh...
>
> How many people own FP these days? Maybe millions by now.
> This seems a somewhat overly critical response in the face
> of such odds. :)
>
> Still, we all know the pro's use DW, but many of us don't
> need that level of sophistication OR Price! Especially
> once you add the add-ins..
>
> But, do to a lack of certain basic support for minimal
> items like menu's, graphics etc. I do need to "talk" to
> the Javescript pro's. Most of them dont hang out here but
> at other forums. A good one, I'm enjoying also left me the
> above message, but that is rare. Most of these guys are
> really helpful.
>
> Check it out at "Javascript" or
> http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...
> s=7a8d0b8a5b95bfb1bd595957a5207c1e&threadid=31800 (cut and
> paste to your browser then see for yourself)
>
> Good Luck guys...

=?Utf-8?B?cm9kY2hhcg==?=

Yes, we all know about the price difference, worse when
you think about "support" progs for DW double the price. I
mentioned the price earlier.

But, if you really think price is that important - your
wrong. I, like many others undoubtedley, could easily
afford what I want. The real secret of FP's success in my
opinion are two things; 1. it's microsoft programs
compatibility and ease of use. You could say almost
instant familiarity. 2. Its a great small program that has
90% of everything you need to make probably 90% of the
websites that are required.

Those two facts made my decision and many others I'm sure.

Yes, I also wish for better menu support and graphics
ability in FP. I am not the only one to say so and I've
had FP2003 awhile. Behaviors would also greatly benefit by
having both "Menu Tools" (I took from a private coder) and
a "Timer" behavior on certain items, like graphics,
instead of only mouse activated behaviors. Swap Image for
instance is lobotomized compared to what could be achieved
with it. NVM.

I'm sure Microsoft will add these much needed small
improvements late, but better than never.

Thanks

Steve Easton

OK

One thing. FP isn't an image editing program. never was and may never be,
although there is a push to give it image editing capability.

At this point in time graphics need an external graphics program.

--

> Yes, we all know about the price difference, worse when
> you think about "support" progs for DW double the price. I
> mentioned the price earlier.
>
> But, if you really think price is that important - your
> wrong. I, like many others undoubtedley, could easily
> afford what I want. The real secret of FP's success in my
> opinion are two things; 1. it's microsoft programs
> compatibility and ease of use. You could say almost
> instant familiarity. 2. Its a great small program that has
> 90% of everything you need to make probably 90% of the
> websites that are required.
>
> Those two facts made my decision and many others I'm sure.
>
> Yes, I also wish for better menu support and graphics
> ability in FP. I am not the only one to say so and I've
> had FP2003 awhile. Behaviors would also greatly benefit by
> having both "Menu Tools" (I took from a private coder) and
> a "Timer" behavior on certain items, like graphics,
> instead of only mouse activated behaviors. Swap Image for
> instance is lobotomized compared to what could be achieved
> with it. NVM.
>
> I'm sure Microsoft will add these much needed small
> improvements late, but better than never.
>
> Thanks

news

"Brand" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Never use Frontpage! - that is the response and I gotta
> admit it made me laugh...
>
> How many people own FP these days? Maybe millions by now.
> This seems a somewhat overly critical response in the face
> of such odds. :)
>
> Still, we all know the pro's use DW, but many of us don't
> need that level of sophistication OR Price! Especially
> once you add the add-ins..
>
> But, do to a lack of certain basic support for minimal
> items like menu's, graphics etc. I do need to "talk" to
> the Javescript pro's. Most of them dont hang out here but
> at other forums. A good one, I'm enjoying also left me the
> above message, but that is rare. Most of these guys are
> really helpful.
>
> Check it out at "Javascript" or
> http://forums.webdeveloper.com/showt...
> s=7a8d0b8a5b95bfb1bd595957a5207c1e&threadid=31800 (cut and
> paste to your browser then see for yourself)
>
> Good Luck guys...

Use whatever tool does the job. I like FP among other progs for certain
reasons.

Jay