microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

Can only occasionally open or create web sites on local computer

Jim Brook

4/3/2004

I am beginning to explore FrontPage but a strange behaviour is restricting
my attempts.

If I attempt to open an existing web previously created by FrontPage It is
not usually possible. There are no messages... the hourglass icon shows and
keeps on showing until I close FrontPage down.

At these times it is also impossible to create a new web-site on my local
machine. Again no messages, just an infinite wait.

At these times FrontPage will still function normally in that I can work on
a single page as long as it isn't part of a site.

However from time to time, without any changes on my part, FrontPage becomes
able to open or create web sites. This lasts only for a minute or two and
then the functionality is lost again.

My computer runs fully updated FrontPage 2003 on fully updated Windows XP on
Athlon 1.8. IIS is version 5.1 and it will display other non-Frontpage
web-sites even when FrontPage is seemingly locked out.

Has anybody experienced this phenomenon and found a solution or could
anybody suggest things which might be tried to correct it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

2 Answers

Greg Chagnon

Hi Jim,

Delete all *.web file from your machine.

--
Mike -- FrontPage MVP '97 - '02
http://www.websunl...

"Jim Brook" <jbrook@clear.net.nz> wrote in message news:%23c2CY6QGEHA.2732@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I am beginning to explore FrontPage but a strange behaviour is restricting
> my attempts.
>
> If I attempt to open an existing web previously created by FrontPage It is
> not usually possible. There are no messages... the hourglass icon shows and
> keeps on showing until I close FrontPage down.
>
> At these times it is also impossible to create a new web-site on my local
> machine. Again no messages, just an infinite wait.
>
> At these times FrontPage will still function normally in that I can work on
> a single page as long as it isn't part of a site.
>
> However from time to time, without any changes on my part, FrontPage becomes
> able to open or create web sites. This lasts only for a minute or two and
> then the functionality is lost again.
>
> My computer runs fully updated FrontPage 2003 on fully updated Windows XP on
> Athlon 1.8. IIS is version 5.1 and it will display other non-Frontpage
> web-sites even when FrontPage is seemingly locked out.
>
> Has anybody experienced this phenomenon and found a solution or could
> anybody suggest things which might be tried to correct it.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim Brook

Thank you, Mike.

This recommendation on its own didn't work but when I searched further for
this type of issue I found advice to remove all temp files and Internet
Explorer Files.

After emptying out my Temp directory and the IE cache FrontPage works
properly.

Shouldn't Microsoft be telling us loud and clear about this serious problem?

Anyway, thanks for pointing out the right track.

Jim.