microsoft.public.frontpage.programming

FrontPage and Access - some questions

Dennis

4/2/2004 3:00:00 AM

I've just gotten FrontPage 2002 to link to my Access 2002 database and
display data from the database on my website. That's cool but I've
immediately come to a number of questions I can't answer:

- My Access DB is divided into backend and front end portions. I've moved a
copy of the backend portions (just the tables) into the fpdb directory in my
website tree. Was that the right part to copy there or should it have been
both front-end and backend?

- When I setup to display data on a web page, I can choose which single
Access table I want to source from but I haven't figured out yet how to
display data drawn from multiple tables. Is it possible?

- One of my tables has 800 records sorted alphabetically. Since I only
show the user records in groups of 10 at a time, it takes them awhile to
step into the middle of the 800 records. Can I set up something like an
Editbox that they can enter a string into and then I can use that for a
filter to control which records are displayed?

That's a good start. Is this the right place to post this? Should I begin
reading ASP books? Any help would be much appreciated.

--
Dennis Gallagher
Monroe, WA, USA

3 Answers

Kevin Spencer

> - My Access DB is divided into backend and front end portions. I've moved
> copy of the backend portions (just the tables) into the fpdb directory in
my
> website tree. Was that the right part to copy there or should it have
been
> both front-end and backend?

The "front end" portion, as you refer to it, is code that is used by the
Access program to display a user interface in Access. The tables, or "back
end" as you call them, are the part that ASP and ADO need to get the data
(that is where the data is stored, and the "front end" gets it from there as
well). The ASP Page serves as the interface.

> - When I setup to display data on a web page, I can choose which single
> Access table I want to source from but I haven't figured out yet how to
> display data drawn from multiple tables. Is it possible?

Of course. However, there are many configurations which might require data
from more than one table, so that's as much as I can tell you based upon
your question.

> - One of my tables has 800 records sorted alphabetically. Since I only
> show the user records in groups of 10 at a time, it takes them awhile to
> step into the middle of the 800 records. Can I set up something like an
> Editbox that they can enter a string into and then I can use that for a
> filter to control which records are displayed?

A FrontPage Database Results Page can do this.

> That's a good start. Is this the right place to post this? Should I
begin
> reading ASP books? Any help would be much appreciated.

The more you know about these technologies (HTML, ASP, ADO), the better off
you'll be.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

"Dennis" <junk@galron.com> wrote in message
> I've just gotten FrontPage 2002 to link to my Access 2002 database and
> display data from the database on my website. That's cool but I've
> immediately come to a number of questions I can't answer:
>
> - My Access DB is divided into backend and front end portions. I've moved
> copy of the backend portions (just the tables) into the fpdb directory in
my
> website tree. Was that the right part to copy there or should it have
been
> both front-end and backend?
>
> - When I setup to display data on a web page, I can choose which single
> Access table I want to source from but I haven't figured out yet how to
> display data drawn from multiple tables. Is it possible?
>
> - One of my tables has 800 records sorted alphabetically. Since I only
> show the user records in groups of 10 at a time, it takes them awhile to
> step into the middle of the 800 records. Can I set up something like an
> Editbox that they can enter a string into and then I can use that for a
> filter to control which records are displayed?
>
> That's a good start. Is this the right place to post this? Should I
begin
> reading ASP books? Any help would be much appreciated.
>
> --
> Dennis Gallagher
> Monroe, WA, USA

Peter Aitken

See my interspersed comments.

"Dennis" <junk@galron.com> wrote in message
> I've just gotten FrontPage 2002 to link to my Access 2002 database and
> display data from the database on my website. That's cool but I've
> immediately come to a number of questions I can't answer:
>
> - My Access DB is divided into backend and front end portions. I've moved
> copy of the backend portions (just the tables) into the fpdb directory in
my
> website tree. Was that the right part to copy there or should it have
been
> both front-end and backend?

Yes - the "front end" in this case is your pages (ASP pages) and they should
remain where they are.

> - When I setup to display data on a web page, I can choose which single
> Access table I want to source from but I haven't figured out yet how to
> display data drawn from multiple tables. Is it possible?

Yes. There are several ways to do this, but perhaps the easiest is to define
a query in the Access database that includes the desired data from two or
more tables, and then access that query from your web page.

> - One of my tables has 800 records sorted alphabetically. Since I only
> show the user records in groups of 10 at a time, it takes them awhile to
> step into the middle of the 800 records. Can I set up something like an
> Editbox that they can enter a string into and then I can use that for a
> filter to control which records are displayed?

Yes. Again there are several ways to do this. One is to use the data entered
in the text box to generate an SQL command that retrieves the filtered data
from the database, then display it.

> That's a good start. Is this the right place to post this? Should I
begin
> reading ASP books? Any help would be much appreciated.

Yes!! And database and SQL books, too. Database programming can be rather
complex and it's easy to get into trouble if you don't know what you are
doing.

--
Peter Aitken

> Dennis Gallagher
> Monroe, WA, USA

Buster Norris

The DemocRAT Hall Of Shame http://www.democrathallof... asks
"Why do you always LIE?"

Courtesy of Buster Norris:

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:30:12 -0400, "Sid9" <sid9@belsouth.net> wrote:

>The United States is one of the lowest tax nations. Only Japan, Korea,
>Turkey, and Mexico have lower income tax.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!

Taxation Statistics > Components of taxation > Property tax
# 1 United Kingdom: 11.9%
# 2 Japan: 10.3%
# 3 United States: 10.1%
# 4 Canada: 9.7%